Two blocks on a surface and a pulley

In summary: But if B moves with A then the forces on B will be the sum of the forces on B and A (Fg+Fa), where Fg is the force of friction and Fa is the force of gravity.
Eitan Levy

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-22_16-51-53.png

Everything that can be used is in the picture.
μ is the coefficient of friction between both B and A and A and the surface.
A is moving upwards the surface with a certain acceleration.
B doesn't move in relative to the surface.
1. Why the direction of A's motion must be upwards and not downwards for B to not move in relative to the surface.
2. tanα=?

Homework Equations

ma=F

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know why A has to move upwards for this to be possible. If it move upwards both B and the surafce will apply force to the same dircetion (downwards the surface), but if it moves downwards they will both apply force upwards the surface. Why does it matter?
I thought that if I solved 2 maybe I would understand, however I can't seem to solve it.
I tried to draw a free body diagram, because if we want A to not move in relative to B we need them to have the same acceleration (in this case at least, correct?)
However, I have no idea how to draw the axes.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-22_16-51-53.png
    upload_2017-12-22_16-51-53.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 679
Physics news on Phys.org
Eitan Levy said:
if we want A to not move in relative to B
As I understand it, A does move relative to B. But B does not move relative to the incline.

Think about all the forces on B in either case.

TSny said:
As I understand it, A does move relative to B. But B does not move relative to the incline.
I just can't type...

Merlin3189 said:
Think about all the forces on B in either case.
Friction, gravity and normal (the friction swaps its direction),
Still don't understand why it's impossible.

Maybe it's because at the second case B will accelerate downwards the sufrace for sure? And the surface can't accelerate the same way, so B will have to move in relative to it?

Eitan Levy said:
Maybe it's because at the second case B will accelerate downwards the sufrace for sure?
Yes. If B were to stay put while A moves downplane underneath it then both friction and gravity would be acting down the slope on B, with nothing to balance them.

1. What is the purpose of a pulley in this scenario?

In this scenario, a pulley is used to redirect the force of gravity and change the direction of the force applied to the blocks. This allows for a more efficient and controlled movement of the blocks on the surface.

2. How do the blocks interact with each other and the pulley?

The blocks on the surface are connected by a rope or string that passes over the pulley. As one block moves, it pulls the other block along with it due to the tension in the rope. The pulley serves as a pivot point for the rope, allowing for the movement of both blocks.

3. What factors affect the motion of the blocks in this setup?

The motion of the blocks is affected by a few factors, including the mass of the blocks, the angle of the surface, the friction between the blocks and the surface, and the tension in the rope. These factors can determine the speed and direction of the blocks' movement.

4. Can the direction of the blocks' movement be reversed in this setup?

Yes, the direction of the blocks' movement can be reversed by changing the direction of the force applied to one of the blocks or by changing the angle of the surface. The pulley will redirect the force in the opposite direction, causing the blocks to move in the opposite direction as well.

5. How does this setup demonstrate the principles of mechanics?

This setup demonstrates the principles of mechanics, specifically Newton's laws of motion. The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. The second law, or the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law, or the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. These laws can be observed in the movement of the blocks and the pulley in this setup.