1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two charged spheres are brought into physical contact with each other.

1. Feb 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two charged spheres are brought into physical contact with each other. Initially, the charge on the first sphere was 2.34 nC, while the charge on the second sphere was -3.23 nC.

a) What is the final charge (in C)on either charge?(2A)

b) How many electrons moved from the more negative object to the more positive object to achieve charge balance? (1I,3A)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

for a) I did (2.34)+(-3.23)/2 and got -0.445nC... That can't be ight can it? what am I doing wrong?

didn't even attempt b) ... I'm so lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Two charged spheres are brought into physical contact with each ot

I think you got part a) right. Doesn't that give you courage to try part b)?

4. Feb 12, 2013 #3

I don't even know where to start.. my brain is fried :(

5. Feb 12, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe be better to try tomorrow. It's not that hard. How many electrons in a nC? How many nC were tranferred?

6. Feb 12, 2013 #5

I have to know how to do this by tomorrow... what formula should I be using here? Sorry, this is such a noob question to ask haha.. I'm seriously lost though and my head feels like its about to explode.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook