Two charged spheres are brought into physical contact with each other.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
alittlelost
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two charged spheres are brought into physical contact with each other. Initially, the charge on the first sphere was 2.34 nC, while the charge on the second sphere was -3.23 nC.

a) What is the final charge (in C)on either charge?(2A)



b) How many electrons moved from the more negative object to the more positive object to achieve charge balance? (1I,3A)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



for a) I did (2.34)+(-3.23)/2 and got -0.445nC... That can't be ight can it? what am I doing wrong?

didn't even attempt b) ... I'm so lost.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


alittlelost said:

Homework Statement


Two charged spheres are brought into physical contact with each other. Initially, the charge on the first sphere was 2.34 nC, while the charge on the second sphere was -3.23 nC.

a) What is the final charge (in C)on either charge?(2A)



b) How many electrons moved from the more negative object to the more positive object to achieve charge balance? (1I,3A)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



for a) I did (2.34)+(-3.23)/2 and got -0.445nC... That can't be ight can it? what am I doing wrong?

didn't even attempt b) ... I'm so lost.

I think you got part a) right. Doesn't that give you courage to try part b)?
 


Dick said:
I think you got part a) right. Doesn't that give you courage to try part b)?

I don't even know where to start.. my brain is fried :(
 


alittlelost said:
I don't even know where to start.. my brain is fried :(

Maybe be better to try tomorrow. It's not that hard. How many electrons in a nC? How many nC were tranferred?
 


Dick said:
Maybe be better to try tomorrow. It's not that hard. How many electrons in a nC? How many nC were tranferred?

I have to know how to do this by tomorrow... what formula should I be using here? Sorry, this is such a noob question to ask haha.. I'm seriously lost though and my head feels like its about to explode.