Two charges are placed at the corners of a square

In summary, when q is placed at the intersection of the diagonals of the square, the potential difference at each corner is zero.
remchu123
Electric Potential !

Homework Statement

Two charges are placed at the corners of a square. One charge, 4.0μC, is fixed to one corner and another, -6.0μC, is fixed to the opposite corner. What charge would need to be placed at the intersection of the diagonals of the square in order to make the potential difference zero at each of the two unoccupied corners?

Homework Equations

V= kq /r

The Attempt at a Solution

Vtot = V1 + V2 + V3

but then i realized that 3rd charge is unknown where it is, i just don't know how i should approach this problem? help. =[

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi remchu123! welcome to pf! :wink:
remchu123 said:
3rd charge is unknown where it is, i just don't know how i should approach this problem? help. =[

call the 3rd charge (the one in the centre) q, then proceed as usual …

show us what you get :smile:

remchu123 said:

Homework Statement

Two charges are placed at the corners of a square. One charge, 4.0μC, is fixed to one corner and another, -6.0μC, is fixed to the opposite corner. What charge would need to be placed at the intersection of the diagonals of the square in order to make the potential difference zero at each of the two unoccupied corners?

Homework Equations

V= kq /r

The Attempt at a Solution

Vtot = V1 + V2 + V3

but then i realized that 3rd charge is unknown where it is, i just don't know how i should approach this problem? help. =
Hello remchu123 . Welcome to PF !

That's why there are variables.

Let the charge at the center have a charge of Q or q.

V1 + V2 + V3 =0

kq1 /d + kq2 /d + kq3 /d (route)2 over 2= 0

then i solved for q3 and i got -2.8x 10^-6 C

but the answer is -1.4 x 10^-6C

which means i forgot half somewhere..

thanks though! i think i can handle it!

wish me luck in physics 12 exam tomorrow! ahha

i'll very likely need all of your "ki"s ( DBZ reference? lol)

hi hremchu123!:smile:

(btw, it's "root" not "route" :wink:)

you just got confused about the distance …

it's d/√2, not d√2 :wink:

What is the formula for calculating the electric field at the center of a square with two charges at its corners?

The formula for calculating the electric field at the center of a square with two charges at its corners is E = kq/(2a^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the charges, and a is the length of one side of the square.

How does the distance between the two charges affect the electric field at the center of the square?

The electric field at the center of the square is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric field at the center decreases.

What is the direction of the electric field at the center of the square?

The direction of the electric field at the center of the square is determined by the direction of the individual electric fields created by each charge. If the charges are of the same sign, the electric field will point away from each charge, resulting in a net electric field pointing away from the center of the square. If the charges are of opposite signs, the electric field will point towards each charge, resulting in a net electric field pointing towards the center of the square.

Can the electric field at the center of the square ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field at the center of the square can be zero if the two charges are equal in magnitude and opposite in sign, canceling out each other's electric fields.

What are the units of the electric field at the center of the square?

The units of the electric field at the center of the square are newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).