1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two different thermal conductivity constants

1. Nov 30, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solid cylindrical copper rod 0.2m long has one end maintained at temperature 20K, other end blackened and exposed to thermal radiation from surrounding walls at 500K. As the rod is insulated, no energy is lost or gained except at the ends of the rod. When equilibrium is reached, what is the temperature of the blackened end? hint: at 20K, copper's thermal conductivity constant is 1670 W/(mK), so the blackened end will only be slightly over 20K

2. Relevant equations

[tex]H=\frac{dQ}{dt}=kA\frac{T_h-T_c}{L}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Thus far, I'm not sure how to approach it given the presence of two different thermal conductivity constants; the one specified in the book is 385, but the other specified is only for one specific circumstance...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  4. Nov 30, 2006 #3
    I don't see how to do that, as I was not given a constant of emissivity. All I have is an equation which, frankly, I'm not sure how to apply here. The only example in the book with two heat currents was one with two rods between each heat/cooling source...how would you set it up?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?