1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two-Dimensional Kinematics: Weightless

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    Early in the space program a jet aircraft was used to simulate "weightless" space flight. Beginning from a comfortable cruising altitude, assume such a craft could reach a speed of v = 590 m/s at an angle q = 31.4° above the horizontal. Subsequently the engines were used only to overcome air friction, and the plane followed a "free fall" path.

a)How long could "weightlessness" experiments be done before the plane fell back to its original altitude? t=62.7

b)How far would the plane travel horizontally during this time? x= 31575.4

c)What is the maximum height that the plane would reach above its cruising altitude?
    y= 4816.11

d)What is the radius of curvature of the path at its apex?

(i.e., what is the radius of a circular path having the same velocity and acceleration as the plane at its highest point?)

Part d) is where I get stuck. The help portion says, "Use the definition of angular acceleration." So if I use a = v^2 / r and account for the horizontal velocity it should be
    R = (590 cos 31.4)^2 / 9.81 = 35475.19 but apparently that's wrong. Can someone help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Redo the calculation. I used your numbers as you have them and did not get 35475.19. Hint: Set you calculator to "Degrees".

4. Sep 23, 2009 #3
    Oh wow it was in radians, jeez I'm stupid, thanks I got the right answer now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook