1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two objects are dropped from a bridge

1. Jan 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    two objects are dropped from a bridge, an interval of 1sec apart during the time that both objects continue to fall their separation______

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought it was stays the same but someone said it wasn't so my next guess would be closer.

And second question:
    car A is traveling at 18m/s and car B at 25m/s Car A is 300m behind car B when the driver of Car A accelerates his car with an acceleration of 1.80 to the power of 2 how long does it take car A to overtake car B

Attempt of solving:
    I think the actual answer is 22.54 that's what someone said but i really don't know. If 22.54 please show the work and if not help me out.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2
    Both objects undergo the same acceleration due to gravity -9.8 m/s^2.
    When, if ever, does the velocity of the first object catch up to the velocity of the second? Thus, what can you say about the relative positions of the objects?

For the second question, assume car B is traveling at 0 m/s relative to car A. How fast is car A going?
    Now, use general kinematics equations.
    Is the acceleration 1.8 m/s^2 or 1.8^2 = 3.24 m/s^2?
  4. Jan 14, 2008 #3
    sorry i typed it wrong it's 1.8m/s^2 and for number one would it be decreases.

Also, my cousin got 36.83
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  5. Jan 14, 2008 #4
    Think about that answer. Is the second object ever going faster than the first one?
  6. Jan 14, 2008 #5
    if you have AIM please IM me at madmonkey924 because I'm so lost on both
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?