Two or three types of heat transfer?

In summary, radiation is the transfer of energy through the air or other medium without physical contact. Virtual photons are the actual particles that are emitted and absorbed.
seb7
Heat transfer: Conduction - Convection - Radiation, but I was wondering if conductive transfer is actually radiation transfer, but at contact distances; well not really contact since no material actually touches each other (at a quantum level).

So, is conductive heat actually being transferred by radiation?

Science news on Phys.org
Yes. So is convection -- with a little help from gravity.

• Skeptical
Likes DrClaude
seb7 said:
No! Conductive heat transfer is through direct contact because of, e.g., coupling (for example, in a solid where local vibrations propagate to neighboring lattice sites) or free electrons in metals. No radiation is ever emitted or absorbed.

Likes russ_watters and Lord Jestocost
The governing force in collisions between molecules is electromagnetic, hence my slightly ironic first reply.

BvU said:
The governing force in collisions between molecules is electromagnetic, hence my slightly ironic first reply.
Fair enough. The irony was lost on me.

Indeed, what is convection but conduction + gravity?

Likes russ_watters
This is another classification question which can be useful in as far as it makes you think. But fitting actuality to arbitrary rules that are learned by rote is a bit of a dead end activity.

Likes Dale and BvU
@seb7 : keep wondering !

• Love
Likes seb7 and sophiecentaur
seb7 said:
I would say no. The reason that we split heat into conduction, radiation, and convection is that different equations are used. You could say it is all radiation but then you would have to distinguish between contact radiation and distant radiation in order to use the right equations

Since we have to make that distinction anyway, we may as well use the words “conduction” and “radiation” to do so.

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic and davenn
Dale said:
The reason that we split heat into conduction, radiation, and convection is that different equations are used.
That's a good observation and effectively sorts out the problem.

BvU said:
Electromagnetic interaction is not equivalent to "radiation". The atoms in a solid transfer thermal energy without emitting any electromagnetic radiation.

Care to elaborate ? Subtle differences between virtual photons and (almost) on-shell photons ?

1. What are the three types of heat transfer?

The three types of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through a solid material, convection is the transfer of heat through a fluid (such as air or water), and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

2. How do these types of heat transfer differ?

These types of heat transfer differ in the way heat is transferred. In conduction, heat is transferred through direct contact between two materials. In convection, heat is transferred through the movement of a fluid. In radiation, heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves without the need for a medium.

3. Which type of heat transfer is most efficient?

The most efficient type of heat transfer depends on the specific situation. In some cases, conduction may be the most efficient, while in others, convection or radiation may be more efficient. For example, in cooking, convection is often the most efficient method of transferring heat.

4. How is heat transfer used in everyday life?

Heat transfer is used in many everyday activities and devices. For example, conduction is used in cooking, convection is used in heating and cooling systems, and radiation is used in microwave ovens and solar panels.

5. Can heat transfer be controlled?

Yes, heat transfer can be controlled through various methods. Insulation can be used to reduce heat transfer through conduction or convection. Reflective surfaces can be used to reduce heat transfer through radiation. Additionally, heat transfer can be controlled by adjusting the temperature difference between two materials.