Two parallel springs, frequency change?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of attaching a weight to two parallel springs of the same type as a vertical spring with a hanging mass M. The conclusion is that the frequency will increase by √2 due to the doubling of the spring constant. This was a concern that the speaker has been thinking about and has now been resolved.
StephenSanders
Ok, you guys! Please note that this is NOT a homework question but merely something that's been bothering me for a while.

We have a vertical spring with a hanging mass M. We pull the mass down and let it go, thus creating a harmonic oscillator with the frequency f.

What happens with the frequency when we attach our weight to two parellel springs of the same type as described above?

I've been thinking about this one for a while now so any help is more than welcome.

Many thanks,
Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
Nvm, I think I finally got it. The answer is 2^(1/2)*old frequency. :)

Yes, the spring constant will double so the f will increase by √2.

1. How does changing the mass of the springs affect the frequency?

Increasing the mass of the springs will decrease the frequency, while decreasing the mass will increase the frequency. This is because the frequency is inversely proportional to the square root of the mass.

2. What happens to the frequency if the springs are stretched or compressed?

Stretching or compressing the springs will change their stiffness, which will in turn affect the frequency. The more the springs are stretched or compressed, the higher the frequency will be.

3. How does changing the spring constant affect the frequency?

Increasing the spring constant will increase the frequency, while decreasing the spring constant will decrease the frequency. This is because the frequency is directly proportional to the square root of the spring constant.

4. Can the frequency be changed by adjusting the distance between the two springs?

Yes, changing the distance between the two springs will change the equilibrium position and therefore affect the frequency. Moving the springs closer together will increase the frequency, while moving them farther apart will decrease the frequency.

5. Does the material of the springs affect the frequency?

Yes, the material of the springs can affect the frequency. Springs made of different materials have different stiffness and mass, which will affect the frequency. Generally, stiffer and lighter materials will result in a higher frequency.