Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two particles accelerating towards each other

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    So I'm new here, hopefully I'll post a lot more in the future. Anywho, not sure if this is the right place but I've been wondering about what would happen under a given scenario. Say that you have two large objects of mass such as 2 stars a substantial distance x away from eachother. Take them initially at a state of rest and in a closed system. If you release them and allow them to freely accelerate to one another their speeds will continually increase from a neutral observant point. So, what happens if the objects are large enough and far enough away that they accelerate to the speed of light. I don't know what is stopping them from going faster, theoretically as they get closer the force attracting them should only increase and it's not like the force goes away as they get closer.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. Material bodies cannot be accelerated to the speed of light, because their mass increases as they approach relativistic speeds:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/mass.html

4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    so what would happen is that the relative velocity of the two bodies would asymptotically approach c. Is there experimental data to confirm that this would happen.

5. Jan 30, 2009 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Yes, lots. The subject is "mass dilation", so just do a google search on that to find lots of info.

6. Jan 30, 2009 #5
    thanks for the help. I've got some knowledge from back when I was slacking off in engineering. Considering going back for EP, testing the waters so to speak.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?