Two Resistors in a Parallel Circuit

In summary, the problem involves two resistors, X and Y, in parallel with each other and in series with a 200 Ω resistor and a battery with an emf of 1.5 volts and an internal resistance of 0.5 Ω. The resistance of X is 100 Ω. When Y is disconnected from X, an additional 50 Ω resistor is needed in the circuit to keep the current through X unchanged. To find the resistance of Y, the equations R1 = R2 and I = V/R are used, resulting in Y = 100 Ω. When considering the internal resistance of the battery negligible, the same result of Y = 100 Ω is obtained.
Obsqura

Homework Statement

Two resistors of X and Y are in parallel with one another and in series with a 200 Ω resistor and a battery whose emf is 1.5 volt and whose internal resistance is 0.5 Ω. The resistance of X is 100 Ω. When Y is disconnected from X, an additional resistance of 50 Ohms must be inserted in the circuit in order to keep the current through X is unchanged. Find the resistance of Y. Compute the value of Y again for the same case considering the internal resistance of the battery negligible.

Homework Equations

R1 = 200 Ω + 0.5 Ω + (XY/X+Y)
R2 = 200 Ω + 0.5 Ω + 50 Ω + X
R1 = R2

The Attempt at a Solution

In R1, X and Y are parallel, but in R2, Y is removed, so it is just in series (I think?). If the 50 Ω was just added in place of Y so they are still parallel, then Y would be 50 Ω and it doesn't seem right.

Since the resistance should still be the same, I set R1 and R2 equal to each other to get:

200.5 + 100Y/(100+Y) = 350.5
I then solved for Y to get Y = 100

Am I solving this correctly? I thought I would need the 1.5V in an equation and compared to the rest of the problems I am doing, this seems much easier. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I understand this is correct. The reason for the voltage being given so that you may prove that your calculations are correct with the formula.

I = V/R

since if I1 = I2 then they have equivalent resistance in the circuit.

I1 being the equation with y
I2 without y and with the added 50ohms

Just an heads up you may need to check your math. It doesn't seem to compute when you plug it back in.

Last edited:

1. What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing the current to flow through each branch separately.

2. What are resistors?

Resistors are electrical components that are designed to resist or limit the flow of electric current through a circuit. They are used to control the amount of current in a circuit.

3. How do two resistors behave in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, two resistors behave independently of each other. This means that the voltage across each resistor remains the same, while the total current in the circuit is divided between the two resistors.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit with two resistors?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit with two resistors can be calculated using the following formula: 1/RT = 1/R1 + 1/R2, where RT is the total resistance and R1 and R2 are the individual resistances of the two resistors.

5. Why would you use two resistors in a parallel circuit instead of one?

Using two resistors in a parallel circuit can be beneficial because it allows for more flexibility in controlling the amount of current in the circuit. It also helps to distribute the current more evenly, reducing the strain on individual components and increasing the overall efficiency of the circuit.