Calculating Ym and R for Two-Slit Interference: Tips and Tricks"

In summary, the spacing of the slits can change so that the bright fringe moves from position m=2 to m=3. The wavelength remains constant.
tj.
Right so I've been stuck with this for a while now and I'm sure it's just something simple that I've missed. Right so the question says there are a pair of closely spaced slits (0.300mm apart). By changing the spacing the bright fringe moves from position m=2 to m=3. The wavelength remains constant. And that is all the information given in the question.

ym=R(mλ/d)

So I've been given m and d but I don't have ym or R (being the distance between the screen and the slits).

I would be very grateful if someone could be help find ym or R. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose you could assume R is constant if the screen is far away relative to the slit spacing?

Perhaps you could reproduce the question in full, because it is slightly ambiguous at the moment. What is it asking you to work out?

Okay sorry:

'You shine a laser on a pair of closely spaced slits. By turning the knob, you can change the spacing of the slits. (The wavelength of the laser light remains constant.) Initially, the slits are 0.300mm apart.

You change the spacing of the slits so that the m=2 bright fringe moves to the position initially occupied by the m=3 bright fringe. What is the new spacing of the slits?'

Well you don't need to worry about R, it is effectively constant over the region you're interested in (far field).

You might understand better what Ym is if you drew a picture of the experiment.

You can use the equation you wrote down for each different d:

[itex]y_3 = 3 R \lambda / d_1[/itex]
[itex]y_2 = 2 R \lambda / d_2[/itex]

I've just replaced m for its value for the two different slit widths. If you understand what Ym is you ought to be able to relate those two equations given what you've been told in the question?

Thanks JesseC! That's what it was, I was always trying to find a value for R. Thanks

Related to Calculating Ym and R for Two-Slit Interference: Tips and Tricks"

1. How do I calculate Ym and R for two-slit interference?

To calculate Ym and R for two-slit interference, you will need to use the following equations:

Ym = (m * λ * L) / d

R = (λ * L) / d

Where Ym is the distance between the bright fringes, m is the order of the fringe, λ is the wavelength of the light, L is the distance from the slits to the screen, and d is the distance between the slits.

2. What is the significance of Ym and R in two-slit interference?

Ym and R are important parameters in two-slit interference as they determine the distance between the bright fringes and the spacing of the fringes on the screen. These values can help us understand the interference pattern and make predictions about the behavior of light waves.

3. Are there any tips for calculating Ym and R more accurately?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you calculate Ym and R more accurately. First, make sure to use consistent units for all your measurements. Also, try to use a laser or monochromatic light source for more precise measurements. Finally, repeating the experiment multiple times and taking an average of the results can help reduce errors.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of Ym and R calculations?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of Ym and R calculations. These include experimental errors, such as parallax in measurements or incorrect placement of the slits. Other factors can include the quality of the light source and the precision of the measuring instruments used.

5. Can Ym and R be used to determine the wavelength of light?

Yes, Ym and R can be used to determine the wavelength of light. By rearranging the equations for Ym and R, we can solve for the wavelength (λ) using the known values for Ym, m, L, and d. This method is known as the two-slit interference method for measuring the wavelength of light.