1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two suspended charged particles, find the angle from vertical.

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two particles, each of mass m and having charge q, are suspended by strings of length l from a common point. Find the angle θ which each string makes with the vertical.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] F_e = k \frac{q^2}{r^2}, \quad F_G = -mg, \quad F_T = \text{tension on string}, \quad r = 2l\sin{\theta}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Since [itex]F_{net} = \vec{0}[/itex], I set [itex]F_e = -F_T \sin{\theta}[/itex] and [itex]F_G = - F_T \cos{\theta}[/itex]. After some manipulation, I get [tex] \tan{\theta} = k \frac{q^2}{r^2 m g}.[/tex]

After I substitute [itex]r = 2l \sin{\theta}[/itex], I can't figure out how to solve for theta. I feel like I'm missing something simple. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2
    Looks like it may be ugly. Are you allowed to use the small angle approximation?

For small theta…
    Cos(theta) = 1
    Sin(theta) = Theta

Theta is in radians

4. Feb 5, 2014 #3
    Each of those can be thought of as a taylor series expansion around theta=0. If you want to me more accurate, include more terms. I think the cos term becomes something like...

Cos(theta) = 1 - theta^2

Might be a coefficient I'm missing

5. Feb 6, 2014 #4
    I don't think I can assume small angles, nothing is mentioned about the length of the string. But I do feel like there is some simplifying assumption I'm missing.

6. Feb 6, 2014 #5
    From a similar problem...

But, if you have the charge, and need to figure out the angle - there is no closed form solution (but there is an approximate solution).

You can use small angle as I said earlier. To get a more precise answer, you can graph both sides of the equation of theta and see where they intersect. The x (theta) coordinate of that point is your solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted