Two variants of the Right hand rule

In summary, there are two methods for using the Right Hand Rule to find the direction of the magnetic field. In Method1, the thumb points in the direction of the current, while in Method2, the fingers curl in the direction of the current and the thumb points in the direction of the magnetic field. The difference between the two methods is that Method1 is used for straight wires and Method2 is used for current loops. However, for current loops, both methods are equivalent. It is recommended to use Method1 for straight wires and Method2 for current loops, but ultimately it is up to the individual's preference and comfort level. In exams, it is important to have intuition and understanding of the material, rather than just memorizing formulas
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
I found the two variants of right hand rule to find the direction of magnetic field. Need clarity on when to apply each rule.
I found two variants of Right hand rule one of the straight wire and to find the direction of the magnetic field i need to use the below method

Method1:
1601214141608.png

And to find the direction of magnetic field produced by current in a loop

Method2:
1601214233224.png

In method1 the thumb was pointing in the direction of current, but in Method2 the fingers are curl in the direction of current and the thumb points in the direction of Magnetic field. Why this difference and when to apply the Method1 and Method2?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It just turns out that for the current loop they're equivalent. Try applying the first method to the loop and you'll realize it's the same. Obviously you can't really apply the second version if there is no loop to curl your fingers. So I'd go with the first version if you have no loop and with the second if you have a loop. But when in doubt, you can always go back to basics...hard math.

Likes PhysicsTest
They both look the same to me; just one is using the fingers to follow the current and the other uses the thumb.

You can either or both, or use the one that makes you most comfortable and that you can follow consistently.

"back to basics" and "hard math" is fantastic when you have time. I use to forget and get twisted up and I'd go back to basics, but the exams often had a time constraint deriving things during the exam would eat up valuable time and easily pave the way to a failing grade instead of the perfect score I felt like I could have earned. Even when the exam asks you to solve the problem using math the students who have the insight/intuition are likely going to do better. Knowing the material isn't good enough for exams you're being tested on your intuition and if the class is curved, then you're competing for your grade and if other students have intuition or tricks to follow you're going to be running a race on one foot.

Well, "hard math" is a bit of an exaggeration. Draw a coordinate system, and you let for example the current flow in the positive ##\vec{e_z}## direction and the radial distance vector from the wire is in the ##\vec{e_r}## direction then just use ## \vec{e_z} \times \vec{e_r} = \vec{e_{\theta}} ## in cylindrical coordinates. You don't need to use the full Biot-Savart law for it.

1. What is the Right Hand Rule?

The Right Hand Rule is a convention used in physics and engineering to determine the direction of a vector or current in a three-dimensional space.

2. What are the two variants of the Right Hand Rule?

The two variants of the Right Hand Rule are the Right Hand Thumb Rule and the Right Hand Curl Rule.

3. How does the Right Hand Thumb Rule work?

The Right Hand Thumb Rule states that if the fingers of the right hand are curled in the direction of the current or vector, then the thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field or resultant vector.

4. How does the Right Hand Curl Rule work?

The Right Hand Curl Rule states that if the fingers of the right hand are curled in the direction of the magnetic field or resultant vector, then the thumb will point in the direction of the current or initial vector.

5. When should I use the Right Hand Thumb Rule and the Right Hand Curl Rule?

The Right Hand Thumb Rule is typically used to determine the direction of a magnetic field, while the Right Hand Curl Rule is used to determine the direction of a current or initial vector. It is important to use the correct variant depending on the situation at hand.