1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two very long straight conducting wires problem

1. Jul 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

My picture won't upload but there is an x-y plane with point P at (5,4) and a vector shooting off from P in the SW direction. There are two wires pointing into the page (in the z plane) at (5,2) and (10,2).

Here is the actual problem:

Two very long straight conducting wires are perpendicular to the x-y plane. At point 'p', the magnetic field, shown on the figure below, is due to the currents in wires '1' and '2', with |B| = 4.782×10-4 T. Its components Bx= -4.470×10-4 T and By= -1.700×10-4 T.

I. Indicate the direction of the currents in the wires, +z (out of the page) or -z (into the page).

II. Calculate the magnitude of the current in wire2.
    2. Relevant equations

III. Calculate the magnitude of the current in wire1.

3. The attempt at a solution

The current in wire 1 is in the -z direction and wire 2 is +z?
    For the second part Bwire = (miu*I)/ (2*pi*R)
    I'm especially unsure of what R would be... please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi cate25! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Isn't R just the distance from P to each wire (so you'll need two equations, one for the field from each wire, and with different R's)?

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3
    Re: Welcome to PF!

Thanks, tiny tim!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook