Two very long straight conducting wires problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a picture of an x-y plane with a point P at (5,4) and a vector shooting off from P in the SW direction. There are two wires pointing into the page at (5,2) and (10,2). The problem involves finding the direction of the currents in the wires and calculating the magnitude of the current in each wire. The equation used is Bwire = (miu*I)/(2*pi*R), with R being the distance from P to each wire.
cate25

Homework Statement

My picture won't upload but there is an x-y plane with point P at (5,4) and a vector shooting off from P in the SW direction. There are two wires pointing into the page (in the z plane) at (5,2) and (10,2).

Here is the actual problem:

Two very long straight conducting wires are perpendicular to the x-y plane. At point 'p', the magnetic field, shown on the figure below, is due to the currents in wires '1' and '2', with |B| = 4.782×10-4 T. Its components Bx= -4.470×10-4 T and By= -1.700×10-4 T.

I. Indicate the direction of the currents in the wires, +z (out of the page) or -z (into the page).

II. Calculate the magnitude of the current in wire2.

Homework Equations

III. Calculate the magnitude of the current in wire1.

The Attempt at a Solution

The current in wire 1 is in the -z direction and wire 2 is +z?
For the second part Bwire = (miu*I)/ (2*pi*R)
I'm especially unsure of what R would be... please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

cate25 said:
For the second part Bwire = (miu*I)/ (2*pi*R)
I'm especially unsure of what R would be... please help!

Hi cate25! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Isn't R just the distance from P to each wire (so you'll need two equations, one for the field from each wire, and with different R's)?

tiny-tim said:
Hi cate25! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Isn't R just the distance from P to each wire (so you'll need two equations, one for the field from each wire, and with different R's)?

Thanks, tiny tim!

1. What is the "Two very long straight conducting wires problem"?

The "Two very long straight conducting wires problem" is a physics problem that involves two infinitely long, straight, and parallel wires that carry electric currents in opposite directions. The problem asks to calculate the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at a given point in space.

2. What is the equation used to solve the "Two very long straight conducting wires problem"?

The equation used to solve the "Two very long straight conducting wires problem" is the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point in space is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

3. How do the directions of the magnetic fields created by the two wires affect the final result?

The directions of the magnetic fields created by the two wires will either add or cancel each other out, depending on the direction of the currents. If the currents are in the same direction, the magnetic fields will add and the resulting field will be stronger. If the currents are in opposite directions, the magnetic fields will cancel each other out and the resulting field will be weaker.

4. What assumptions are made in the "Two very long straight conducting wires problem"?

Some assumptions made in this problem are that the wires are infinitely long and straight, the currents are constant, and there are no other external magnetic fields present. These assumptions allow for a simplified solution to the problem.

5. How does the distance between the wires affect the strength of the magnetic field at a given point?

The strength of the magnetic field at a given point is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. As the distance between the wires increases, the magnetic field will decrease. This means that the wires need to be closer together for a stronger magnetic field, and farther apart for a weaker magnetic field.