Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Types of transformers used in LCD backlights

1. Jul 12, 2015 #1
    How common are piezoelectric transformers in computer LCDs?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know

None of the dozens of different types of LCD monitors I have dismantled have had piezoelectric transformers
    they have all been the typical low profile high voltage low current ferrite cored transformers

4. Jul 13, 2015 #3

meBigGuy

Gold Member

davenn -- how many of those were CCFL backlit? I think that's the only type that would use piezo to create the high voltage. (I don't know the answer as to how often they are used in CCFL monitors)

5. Jul 13, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

just call me Dave :smile: .... I have used davenn as a user name all over the net since the early to mid 1990's the 2 x n's are the first and last letters of my surname

they were all CCFL, the LED backlit ones ( of which I have stripped dozens) of course don't need HV PSU's ... but what a wonderful source of strips of LEDs !!!

mite do a couple of pix tomorrow if I get a chance to show the transformers in the CCFL type I work on

Dave

6. Jul 13, 2015 #5
    Thanks much :smile:

So panels with LED backlights run at the same voltage/amperage as the output from the AC/DC converter?

I was going to ask if anyone had a part number or two so that I could look up dimensions, but a picture would be even cooler :smile:

7. Jul 13, 2015 #6

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They have their own sub-PSU off the main PSU for the screen

there's just too many variations to do that

8. Jul 13, 2015 #7
    Oh, I didn't mean that at all.

I used to work in a laboratory that did a lot of spindle error motion testing using capacitance gauges. We were worried about errors in the low single digit nanometers (and sometimes low double-digit picometers), so EMI was a concern. Even when the target was buried in a probe nest made of 1-2" thick 414 stainless, we would often see a blip at 60Hz on the FFT.

A while ago I read an article comparing piezo and magnetic transformers in CCFL LCDs, and that made me wonder whether we were missing a source of interference in all of those tests (since it could be at a different frequency). The FFT cutoff was often set to 100Hz, since there hadn't been much beyond that in earlier tests, but if the internal PSU in the display that sat right next to the probe nest ran at a higher frequency, we would have been blind to it. (I'd be pretty embarrassed if that were the case.)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  9. Jul 13, 2015 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

interesting, As far as I'm aware I have never seen a piezo type transformer

10. Jul 13, 2015 #9
    Just knowing that there will be magnetic transformers in the enclosure is a good start. Thanks.

11. Jul 13, 2015 #10
    does anyone have a datasheet for one of these single layer piezo transformers? specifically the SMSTF150P1S7

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook