U.S. Dog Owners Fear Arrival of Africanized Fleas

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the Center for Veterinary Medicine has announced that a mutant strain of Africanized killer fleas is imminent, and American dog owners are panic-stricken.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
ATLANTA—Panic is spreading among American dog owners, following the Center for Veterinary Medicine's Monday announcement that the arrival of a deadly mutant strain of Africanized killer fleas is imminent.

"No dog is safe," CVM director Stephen Sundlof said. "While canines around the U.S. innocently fetch sticks and chase their tails, killer fleas are migrating north at a rate of two kilometers a day. They've already invaded the border towns of Texas and California. We've got to act now, before our pets pay the price." [continued]
http://onion.com/news/index.php?issue=4112&n=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say "bogus", but its from "The Onion". Redundant.

russ_watters said:
I'd say "bogus", but its from "The Onion". Redundant.

Russ, have you noticed today's date? :rofl:

Ivan quote said:
killer fleas are migrating north at a rate of two kilometers a day

:rofl: :rofl:

Daniel.

The picture of the dog is hilarious!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

According to legend, the fleas crossed the U.S. border for the first time in June 2003, when Mexican flea-circus owner Pedro Romero brought his show to McAllen, TX. Romero, whose bone-dry corpse was discovered outside the Hidalgo County fairgrounds, is said to be single-handedly responsible for bringing the menace to America.

:rofl: :rofl:

Oh man, that's funny stuff.

That poor dog. :cry:

Good one. Really.

Moonbear said:
Russ has no sense of humor and wouldn't understand it anyway. :rofl: :rofl:

Tsu said:
Russ has no sense of humor and wouldn't understand it anyway. :rofl: :rofl:

Tsu, where have you been hiding lately? We've missed watching you torturing folks around here. :tongue2:

Moonbear said:
Yes, that's why I was going to say "bogus". But am I the only one who caught the irony of an April fool's joke from The Onion? (That's why I said its redundant)

russ_watters said:
Yes, that's why I was going to say "bogus". But am I the only one who caught the irony of an April fool's joke from The Onion? (That's why I said its redundant)

Well, darnit, I can't tell when you're being serious and when you're being sarcastic. That was way too subtle. :biggrin: What, you don't think The Onion is the pinnacle of factual reporting? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Okay, I had a hard time even typing that. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Tsu, where have you been hiding lately? We've missed watching you torturing folks around here. :tongue2:
I've gotten out of the torture business and gone into gardening and painting again. Gotta break out the chain saw again, too. :wink:

Tsu said:
I've gotten out of the torture business and gone into gardening and painting again. Gotta break out the chain saw again, too. :wink:

:cry: I wish I could do that too! We had two nice days, and it's back to cold and rainy today. :cry: And tomorrow possibly even snow flurries mixed with the rain. At first I didn't care, because I'm going to be inside most of the day judging that science fair, but then I saw the associated events were supposed to include hovercraft rides, which I'm sure are supposed to be outside and will be canceled if there's rain. :cry: I wanted to go on a hovercraft ride!

Poor dogs :cry:

*looks at weather, sees high 60s/low 70s and sun, smiles at MB*

mattmns said:
*looks at weather, sees high 60s/low 70s and sun, smiles at MB*

I hate you. :mad:

:tongue2:

Moonbear said:
...the associated events were supposed to include hovercraft rides, which I'm sure are supposed to be outside and will be canceled if there's rain. :cry: I wanted to go on a hovercraft ride!
Shhh - don't mention this around you know who. The high today was 81 degrees, but don't hate me just because it's beautiful here...because when it's 115 degrees, it will be pay-back time. :frown:

SOS2008 said:
Shhh - don't mention this around you know who. The high today was 81 degrees, but don't hate me just because it's beautiful here...because when it's 115 degrees, it will be pay-back time. :frown:

But it's a dry heat, right? I was out in Davis, CA one summer and the temperature hit something like 110 degrees. Everyone was complaining about the heat, trying to stay refrigerated in air-conditioning, but there was practically no humidity and I was LOVING it! There's a good chance I'm part lizard. Just find me a hot rock to sit on and I'm happy. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
But it's a dry heat, right?
Yeh, like sticking your head in an oven. :yuck:
Moonbear said:
There's a good chance I'm part lizard. Just find me a hot rock to sit on and I'm happy. :biggrin:
You know, based on Moonbear Metabolism Theory, this might be the place for you...well except there is the tribdog obsession, and I don't want any friendly fire 'round here, and would this mean you won't bake any more cakes?

I grew up in Southern and Northern California. By the time Tsu and were married and living in the San Fernando Valley, I reached the point that I could hardly stand the heat. I used to love the heat and spent much of my free time as a youth desert biking, high desert and mountain backpacking, engaged in beach and lake activities of all sorts...pretty much any kind of fun in the sun. But one day it was like someone hit a switch and suddenly I hated it. Perhaps it had something to do with years spent in my teens doing very demanding, manual labor jobs like digging ditches, running jack hammers etc, in extreme heat - 100+ degrees. I have been in rainy Oregon for 15 years now and still love the rain, cold foggy days, snow storms, and ice storms. And if it hits 75 degrees I'm complaining about the heat.

That's why people get cabins in the mountains here (my dream). Maybe we should start a PF Exchange Program?

SOS2008 said:
Yeh, like sticking your head in an oven. :yuck:
You know, based on Moonbear Metabolism Theory, this might be the place for you...well except there is the tribdog obsession, and I don't want any friendly fire 'round here, and would this mean you won't bake any more cakes?

Oh, nothing to fear. I've gotten over my tribdog obsession. He's all yours if you want him. Just remember to hide the matches.

Moonbear said:
Oh, nothing to fear. I've gotten over my tribdog obsession. He's all yours if you want him. Just remember to hide the matches.
Good call...we can't get him out of the melon section. I was more concerned about cake. Matches?

1. What are Africanized fleas and why are dog owners in the U.S. concerned about their arrival?

Africanized fleas, also known as "killer fleas," are a type of flea that originated from Africa and have spread to other parts of the world. They are known to carry dangerous diseases and have a more aggressive biting behavior compared to other types of fleas. U.S. dog owners are concerned about their arrival because it could lead to an increase in flea-borne diseases and discomfort for their pets.

2. How are Africanized fleas different from other types of fleas?

Africanized fleas are genetically distinct from other types of fleas and have a higher tolerance for warm climates. They also have a more aggressive biting behavior and are known to carry diseases such as the bubonic plague, typhus, and tapeworms. They are also more difficult to control and eradicate compared to other types of fleas.

3. Are Africanized fleas currently present in the U.S.?

Currently, there have been no confirmed cases of Africanized fleas in the U.S. However, there have been reports of their presence in neighboring countries, leading to concerns about their potential arrival in the U.S. through international travel or trade.

4. What can dog owners do to protect their pets from Africanized fleas?

There are several steps dog owners can take to protect their pets from Africanized fleas. These include regularly grooming and checking for fleas, using flea prevention products recommended by veterinarians, and avoiding contact with stray animals or wildlife that may carry the fleas. It is also important to keep the environment clean and free of potential flea habitats.

5. What is being done to prevent the arrival of Africanized fleas in the U.S.?

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) and other government agencies are monitoring the spread of Africanized fleas and have implemented strict regulations on the import and export of animals and animal products to prevent their entry. There are also ongoing research and surveillance efforts to detect and control any potential outbreaks of Africanized fleas in the U.S.

Back