1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(UK) What are the GCSE levels requirements to apply for MIT?

Tags:
  1. Jan 2, 2009 #1
    (UK) What are the GCSE levels requirements to apply for MIT???

For UK guys only...

What are the GCSE levels requirements to apply for MIT???

for those who wants to anser..heres the GCSE leveling here in UK

A*
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    U

How many As do you think I'd need for GCSE? Dyou think it'd be OK if I get a B?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: (UK) What are the GCSE levels requirements to apply for MIT???

It's likely that your GCSEs won't really be looked at when applying for university, especially somewhere other than the UK. However, you should be looking to obtain A* in at least physics and maths if you're going to have much chance of coping at MIT (or any other top university).

4. Jan 2, 2009 #3

How old are you?

What grades did you get in which subjects?

5. Jan 2, 2009 #4

MIT doesn't have cutoff points for tests or grades. If you get a B in the physics exam, MIT wont automatically disqualify you but you need to make up for it in another way to get in, for example if you won a science fair with a physics project.

6. Jan 2, 2009 #5

I'm 16 and I'm still in Year 11, which is like Senior Year in US, but not exactly, coz we still have to do 2 years of college then we can go to University when we're 18...

And, we haven't done our final exams yet, which is this May or so, thats why I'm asking so I can get a target grade for the exam...

7. Jan 2, 2009 #6

No, it's not like senior year in america.

I'm in year 12, and senior year in america is equivalent to year 13.

What are you projected to get? And what subjects did you take?

8. Jan 2, 2009 #7

Admissions at MIT (or any other top school) are *very* competitive. First thing to realize... top grades and top test scores will not get you in, but low grades or low test scores will keep you out. You need to do outstanding things outside of school as well.

How competitive, you ask? Take a look at http://web.mit.edu/registrar/www/stats/geofinal.html. Last year, there were *six* undergrads from the UK at MIT. Since an undergraduate education typically takes four years, this means they admit on average one or two students from the UK each year.

9. Jan 3, 2009 #8

Mostly As and Bs.

I have 9 subjects

English
    Science
    Maths
    Religious Studies
    PE

my choices:

Additional Science
    Graphics
    Art
    Media

-I'm planning to study Architecture...

10. Jan 3, 2009 #9

Out of curiosity, why are you so keen on MIT? Don't get me wrong It's a commendable ambition but you should also note that a school like that must have to turn down excellent candidates and you should keep your options open.

11. Jan 3, 2009 #10

coz my mom is planning to move to Washington DC and work there; Actually, she can leave anytime now but she wants to wait for me till Uni, so that I can do it in America. and the closest top University in the area is MIT...

I'd say, when you reach something, why not reach to the highest?

Before when she haven't thought of moving there yet, I was planning to go Cambridge or Imperial, which are also top Univerities in UK. But in US, I can't go Harvard, possibly Yale, but Harvard's to high for me, I'd be dead LOL

btw, the As and Bs that I've said were just predictions...not final yet.

12. Jan 3, 2009 #11

Agreed, and If you feel that it is possible you should certainly aim for it. However keep in mind that there are many excellent universities in that area (some of the best in the world actually).

Anyway, although it is unlikely that your GCSEs will mater at all, entering MIT would I imagine be on the same level of difficulty as entering Cambridge, 9 straight A/A*s would be roughly what entrants tended to have.

Why do you imagine that Harvard would be impossible to get into but MIT not-so? Top universities are top universities..

13. Jan 3, 2009 #12

I know but in MIT, I know I'd have more chance of getting through. Lets admit it, Harvard is the #1 University worldwide...

14. Jan 3, 2009 #13

Is it now?

15. Jan 3, 2009 #14

You're just going on name recognition

16. Jan 3, 2009 #15

I'd compare entry to a top US college to a top UK uuniversity. Oxbridge require high marks in order just for you to qualify for concideration. This is AAA at A-level, they also look at GCSEs which are typically all A*/A. Still, even with these grades you need much more and doesn't even come close to guaranteeing entry.

In terms of a top US college, MIT, not only will it be extremely difficult for you to get in, but it will be very expensive and overall I think pretty unlikely and infeasible, especially if you are just a year 11 that has been watching Walter Lewin's physics lectures on YouTube.

17. Jan 3, 2009 #16

According to most university league tables Harvard is the top university worldwide.

18. Jan 3, 2009 #17

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

With all due respect, I don't think you have the perspective to make that judgment - you're a teenager 5000 miles away from either institution. That really doesn't give you the background, experience or depth to compare two programs, neither of which you have any experience with.

TMFKAN64 makes a very salient point. MIT historically takes one student per year from the UK. Sometimes two. Are you unmistakably the very best student in the entire UK? If the answer is "no", I would seriously recommend you apply to more than one place.

19. Jan 3, 2009 #18

God, he's just aiming high, does he really expect to get into MIT? I would think no, he's just trying to find the ceiling.

20. Jan 3, 2009 #19

Now hold on, I don't think that the best student in the UK necessarily goes to MIT ;)

21. Jan 4, 2009 #20

As Gregg said, yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?