Ultimate stress vs Temperature in glass

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of building a pressurised chamber with a window that can withstand high temperatures. The speaker is looking for information on the ultimate strength of glass at different temperatures, but is having trouble finding reliable sources. Another participant shares their understanding that while glass has a high ultimate strength, it is reduced by microscopic flaws in the manufacturing process. They also caution against using glass windows in high-pressure situations.
Alexis B
Hello all,
I've got stuck with building a test rig for my PhD. I'd like to design a pressurised chamber with a window on. The temperature of the chamber and window will rise up to 500-600 C deg. I can calculate the stress in the window but I can not find any info on the ultimate tensile/compressive stress of glass (quartz, fused silica, borosilicate or soda lime) as function of temperature anywhere.

I'm getting desperate! Is there anyone out there who knows the book or paper that has the curve in it? Please!

The net and the databases are full up with info on metals, I attached an example for aluminium, I need a similar chart for glass.

Thanks very much,
Alex
Al temp.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Glass has a ridiculously high ultimate strength on the order of 2 million psi in USA units...IF perfect. But glass has microscopic cracks and notch flaws in the manufacturing process, reducing its actual tensile strength by a factor of 100 or more. But whatever it is, there is little reduction in its strength at high temperatures...might even get a bit stronger if anything. Caution on differential pressure...you don't see pressurized airplanes using glass windows with high pressure differences at high altitudes. But I am certainly no expert on this, it is my best understanding.

What is ultimate stress in glass?

Ultimate stress in glass refers to the maximum amount of stress a glass material can withstand before breaking or fracturing.

How does ultimate stress change with temperature in glass?

The ultimate stress of glass typically decreases as the temperature increases. This is due to the fact that at higher temperatures, the glass becomes more flexible and less resistant to stress.

Why is it important to study the relationship between ultimate stress and temperature in glass?

Understanding the relationship between ultimate stress and temperature in glass is crucial for designing and using glass materials in various applications. It helps determine the safe operating temperature range for glass products and can also provide insights into the structural integrity and durability of glass components.

What factors can affect the ultimate stress of glass at different temperatures?

The ultimate stress of glass can be influenced by various factors such as the composition and structure of the glass, the rate of temperature change, and the type and magnitude of external forces applied.

How can we measure the ultimate stress of glass at different temperatures?

The ultimate stress of glass can be measured through experiments such as tensile or bending tests at different temperatures. Other techniques like thermal stress analysis and finite element analysis can also be used to predict the ultimate stress of glass under different temperature conditions.

Back