Ultrarelativistic approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical relationship between v≈c and sqrt(1-β2) = sqrt(2*(1-β)). The mathematical representation is shown and it is suggested to use calculus to take the limit as β approaches zero. The conversation ends with gratitude for the helpful explanation.
mps
I read that when v≈c,
sqrt(1-β2) = sqrt(2*(1-β)).
How do you show this mathematically? I have no idea. Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mps said:
I read that when v≈c,
sqrt(1-β2) = sqrt(2*(1-β)).
How do you show this mathematically? I have no idea. Thanks! :)

Let [itex]\epsilon = 1 - \beta[/itex] , then substitute [itex]\beta = 1 - \epsilon[/itex]. You get

sqrt([itex]1 - (1 -2 \beta \epsilon + \epsilon^2)[/itex]) = sqrt([itex]1 - (1 - 2 (1 - \epsilon) \epsilon + \epsilon^2)[/itex]

Take the limit as [itex]\epsilon[/itex] goes to zero. You might need a bit of calculus to do that. bit basically you keep all the terms proportioanl to [itex]\epsilon[/itex] and trhow out all high order temrs proportional to [itex]\epsilon^2[/itex].

Last edited:
pervect said:
sqrt([itex]1 - (1 -2 \beta \epsilon + \epsilon^2)[/itex])

I think you might have an extraneous β here, but thanks a lot! I get it now :)

It's even easier to see than that. Just remember that [itex]1-\beta^2 = (1+\beta)*(1-\beta)[/itex]. Then, since [itex]\beta[/itex] is very close to 1, the first term is only very slightly smaller than 2.

Thank you! :)

What is the Ultrarelativistic Approximation?

The Ultrarelativistic Approximation is a mathematical approximation used in physics to simplify the calculation of particle interactions in extremely high energy situations. It is based on the principles of special relativity and assumes that the particles involved are moving at speeds close to the speed of light.

How is the Ultrarelativistic Approximation used in research?

Scientists use the Ultrarelativistic Approximation in research to study high energy particle collisions, such as those occurring in particle accelerators. It allows for simpler and more accurate calculations and helps to understand the behavior of particles at extreme speeds.

What are the limitations of the Ultrarelativistic Approximation?

The Ultrarelativistic Approximation is only valid for particles moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It also does not take into account effects such as gravity or quantum mechanics, and therefore cannot be used in all situations.

How does the Ultrarelativistic Approximation differ from the non-relativistic approximation?

The non-relativistic approximation is based on Newtonian mechanics and assumes that particles are moving at speeds much lower than the speed of light. It is not accurate in high energy situations and does not take into account the effects of special relativity, which the Ultrarelativistic Approximation does.

Is the Ultrarelativistic Approximation still applicable in modern physics?

Yes, the Ultrarelativistic Approximation is still widely used in modern physics, particularly in the study of high energy particle interactions. However, it is important to note its limitations and when it is not suitable for use in calculations.