Ultrasound absorption by particles in water

In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating the ultrasound absorption of particles in water, specifically polystyrene particles with a size of 15 microns. They were unable to find simple analytical expressions online and someone suggested a Dover book on the topic. The individual plans to look into it.
Radel
Hi All,

I am in need to calculate the ultrasound (20MHz) absorption of particles (polystyrene of size 15 microns) in water. I tried to search in the internet, but couldn't find any simple analytical expressions. Can someone please help me !

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Radel...

Physics news on Phys.org
Radel said:
Hi All,

I am in need to calculate the ultrasound (20MHz) absorption of particles (polystyrene of size 15 microns) in water. I tried to search in the internet, but couldn't find any simple analytical expressions. Can someone please help me !

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Radel...

Not sure that it has the information, but there is a Dover book on the basic topic: A. B. Bhatia, "Ultrasonic Absorption: An Introduction to the Theory of Sound Absorption and Dispersion in Gases, Liquids and Solids."

Quantum Defect said:
Not sure that it has the information, but there is a Dover book on the basic topic: A. B. Bhatia, "Ultrasonic Absorption: An Introduction to the Theory of Sound Absorption and Dispersion in Gases, Liquids and Solids."
Thank you for the info..I will check it out..

Related to Ultrasound absorption by particles in water

1. What is ultrasound absorption by particles in water?

Ultrasound absorption by particles in water refers to the process of sound waves being absorbed by tiny particles suspended in water. This can occur due to the physical properties of the particles, such as their size, shape, and composition.

2. How does ultrasound absorption by particles in water affect imaging?

The absorption of ultrasound by particles in water can reduce the clarity and quality of ultrasound images. This is because the sound waves are scattered and attenuated as they pass through the particles, making it more difficult for them to reach the imaging device.

3. What are the factors that influence ultrasound absorption by particles in water?

The factors that influence ultrasound absorption by particles in water include the size, shape, and concentration of the particles, as well as the frequency and intensity of the ultrasound waves.

4. How is ultrasound absorption by particles in water measured?

Ultrasound absorption by particles in water is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of ultrasound energy absorbed by the particles at different wavelengths. This information can then be used to calculate the absorption coefficient of the particles.

5. What are the potential applications of studying ultrasound absorption by particles in water?

Studying ultrasound absorption by particles in water has various practical applications, such as in medical imaging, environmental monitoring, and industrial processes. Understanding how particles in water absorb sound waves can help improve the accuracy and effectiveness of these applications.