Uncertainty principle for electron in nucleus

In summary, the conversation discusses using the uncertainty principle to show that electrons with energies of 1 MeV cannot be contained in nuclei before decay. Through calculations, a minimum energy of 5 MeV is found for an electron in a nucleus. However, it is suggested that the calculation was done backwards and the assumption should be that the electron has an energy of 1 MeV.
Dassinia
Hello, I have this exercise and want to check if what i did is correct

Homework Statement

Nuclei, typically of size $10^{-14}$ m, frequently emit electrons with energies of 1-10 MeV. Use the uncertainty principle to show that electrons of energy 1 MeV could not be contained in the nucleus before the decay.

Homework Equations

Δx*Δp≥ h/4*pi
E=sqrt(p²c²+m²c4)

The Attempt at a Solution

Searching for the minimum value of the energy
Δx ≈ x
Δp ≈ p
x*p≈h/4*pi
so x=10-14
p=h/(4*pi*x)
sqrt(p²c²+m²c4)=sqrt(h²/(4²*pi²*x²)+m²c4)
E=sqrt(h²/(4²*pi²*x²)+m²c4)
I found ≈ 5 Mev for the minimum energy for an electron in a nucleus, is my method correct ?
Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you did it backwards. You want to assume the electron has an energy of 1 MeV and show that this implies ##\Delta x > 10^{-14}\text{ m}##.

Off the top of my head, I'd expect your calculation to give E ~ 10 MeV.

Hello
I don't get how i can do it following what you're saying
Thanks

1. What is the uncertainty principle for an electron in a nucleus?

The uncertainty principle for an electron in a nucleus is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. In other words, the more precisely we know the position of an electron, the less we know about its momentum, and vice versa.

2. How does the uncertainty principle apply to an electron in a nucleus?

The uncertainty principle applies to an electron in a nucleus because at the subatomic level, particles such as electrons do not behave like classical objects with a definite position and momentum. Instead, they exist as a wave function that describes the probability of finding the particle in a certain location with a certain momentum.

3. What are the implications of the uncertainty principle for an electron in a nucleus?

The uncertainty principle has important implications for the behavior and properties of particles at the subatomic level. It means that we can never have complete knowledge of a particle's position and momentum, and that there will always be a level of uncertainty in our measurements.

4. Can the uncertainty principle be violated or overcome?

No, the uncertainty principle is a fundamental part of quantum mechanics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. It cannot be violated or overcome, but it can be used to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of particles.

5. How does the uncertainty principle for an electron in a nucleus relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle for an electron in a nucleus is a specific application of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, which is a more general principle that applies to all particles in quantum mechanics. The principle was first proposed by Werner Heisenberg in 1927 and is a cornerstone of modern physics.