1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem about uncertainty principle

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    We have an electron pulse of width 1 nanosecond and with kinetic energy of 1keV. We have to calculate Δx and Δp.

I have a question regarding this problem. If they give us the kinetic energy of the electron pulse then we know exactly the momentum right? And so the uncertainty of momentum would be 0 and therefore Δx=∞ for the uncertainty principle ΔxΔp≥h. However I feel this reasoning is incorrect otherwise the problem would be trivial.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The momentum, together with the energy, have some small uncertainty (<<1 keV). You can calculate the minimal uncertainty of this, based on the position uncertainty.

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    And how do I calculate the position uncertainty? Both Δx and Δ p are unkown.

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Δx is known. It is hidden in the "length" of 1ns, and you can calculate the velocity.

6. Apr 19, 2013 #5
    Thank you I finally solved I didn't understand the meaning of that 1ns.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted