1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uncorrelated input to a DPCM system?

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    Hi

I have a question regarding an ACTUAL Differential Pulse Code Modulation system setup. The prediction algorithm is predicated upon the assumption that an input to it is a correlated signal, and the objective therefore is to reduce redundant information when it is sampled at rates higher than the Nyquist rate.

Now, the prediction error when a linear prediction filter of order P is used, is given by

[tex]e_{n} = x[n] - \sum_{i=1}^{P}p_{k}x[n-k][/tex]

But for an uncorrelated input, the discrete time Weiner Hopf equations degenerate to

[tex]R_{X,0}Ip = 0[/tex]

where [itex]R_{X,0} = E[x[n]^2][/itex], [itex]I = diag(1, 1, \ldots, 1)[/itex] and [itex]p = (p_{1}, p_{2}, \ldots, p_{P})^{T}[/itex].

For a nontrivial signal then, this just reduces to [itex]p = 0[/itex], which simply implies that the predictor coefficients are all zero. If this is the case, the prediction error is [itex]e_{n} = x[n][/itex].

My question is: What happens physically if such a situation arises?

TIA.

(PS--This isn't homework.)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted