Uncovering the Forces on Drum Lugs: An Engineering Design Exploration

In summary, a model is created to calculate the radial tension in a drum head and the vertical reaction force on the hoop.
omurphy436
TL;DR Summary
Attempting to mathematically model the forces on acoustic drum hardware based on ideal fundamental frequency of the drum head
I am currently designing an alternative to normal acoustic drum lugs and I need to find the forces that are felt by the tuning rods of a drum for the engineering background to my design. I have been able to use the 2D wave equation assuming uniform tension on the membrane and found values of the radial tension in the drum head based on the ideal fundamental frequency for the drum in question. However, I am stuck translating this radial force to the vertical reaction force felt by the drum hoop at the boundary and then to 6 tuning rods, or how I would go about finding this. There are lots of resources online for finding the tension on ideal circular membranes but I cannot seem to find anything that looks at the drum hardware. I have been able to use Abaqus CAE to create a model of the lug frame I have designed but I just don't have any force values to input.

If someone could help that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF! First a question. In a typical tuned drum, do the tension rods hold all of the tension or does the hoop hold most of it and the rods just add some more?

Likes berkeman
The membrane is stretched over the circular end of the drum.
That fixes the diameter, and so the circumference, of the membrane.

Surface tension has the dimension of force per unit length.
The total tension in the rods will apply tension over the circumferential length of the membrane.

Since the forces are opposed across the drum, they are balanced, so I would not be surprised if there was a factor of two involved somewhere.

bob012345 said:
Welcome to PF! First a question. In a typical tuned drum, do the tension rods hold all of the tension or does the hoop hold most of it and the rods just add some more?
Very little. The ring of the head is not very malleable. In position the head sits on the drum cylinder but there is no tension in the head.
The edge maintains the shape
Tension only begins once the hoop is in place and the tension rods are tightened.
My process is in pairs finger tight then use the drum key, again in pairs, half turn.
Objective is even tension, playable tension and a note best fit to the head and in tune with the resonant head.

Baluncore said:
The membrane is stretched over the circular end of the drum.
That fixes the diameter, and so the circumference, of the membrane.

Surface tension has the dimension of force per unit length.
The total tension in the rods will apply tension over the circumferential length of the membrane.

Since the forces are opposed across the drum, they are balanced, so I would not be surprised if there was a factor of two involved somewhere.
Hi, thanks for the reply,

I have a value for the surface tension at 587.15 N/m when the drum is tuned to a frequency of 123.47 Hz. To convert that to a stress tension uniform around the circumference of the membrane, is it acceptable then to just multiply it by the circumferential length of the boundary? If so, how can I relate that to the vertical tension that the hoop exerts on the edge of the head to apply that radial tension to the skin.

As the tension is assumed constant, Is it possible to take a sectional view of the head/hoop/drum contact and resolve the forces with trig? Alternatively, could I use a similar process to the one that is used to calculate the longitudinal stress in a cylindrical pressure vessel scenario with the radial stress as a pressure?

Thanks for the help

bob012345 said:

@pinball1970 explained it well, the hoop itself is not fixed and will just sit on the head until the tension rods are inserted and are screwed down, applying the vertical force which pulls the hoop downwards with the drumhead, stretching the skin and applying the surface tension for tuning. Essentially, I am looking at the vertical reaction force that the stretched skin has on the hoop due to it's tension, then hopefully I can resolve that to find the distribution of the same tension on the individual rods.

Cheers

omurphy436 said:
If so, how can I relate that to the vertical tension that the hoop exerts on the edge of the head to apply that radial tension to the skin.
The skin is dragged around the corner by the tension of the rods.
Any vibration will take it closer to equilibrium.

I think we need a link or a diagram.

omurphy436 said:

@pinball1970 explained it well, the hoop itself is not fixed and will just sit on the head until the tension rods are inserted and are screwed down, applying the vertical force which pulls the hoop downwards with the drumhead, stretching the skin and applying the surface tension for tuning. Essentially, I am looking at the vertical reaction force that the stretched skin has on the hoop due to it's tension, then hopefully I can resolve that to find the distribution of the same tension on the individual rods.

Cheers
As it is being explained to me it would seem to be not unlike a rope turned around a pulley 90 degrees. The tension is the same but the direction is changed. Then to first order, the total tension at the hoop edge translates to a force on each rod which if all the rods are tuned to the same tension would be the total force computed around the periphery of the edge (the magnitude of course as the radial direction makes the vector force sum to zero) divided by the number of rods.

Baluncore said:
The skin is dragged around the corner by the tension of the rods.
Any vibration will take it closer to equilibrium.

I think we need a link or a diagram.
So I am not currently looking at the vibration in the skin, the purpose of the wave physics was to determine the surface tension at the boundary to produce X Hz f01 frequency in the centre. I have been trying to model the solution in abaqus with an experimentally determined downwards displacement of the hoop of 1mm, stretching it over the rim. I have linked an image. Is it possible to theoretically determine the reaction force on the hoop knowing that downwards displacement of the skin, the elastic modulus of the material and the angles and lengths of the skin extrusion to the hoop?

Attachments

• AbSim.png
    AbSim.png
    37.3 KB · Views: 74
bob012345 said:
As it is being explained to me it would seem to be not unlike a rope turned around a pulley 90 degrees. The tension is the same but the direction is changed. Then to first order, the total tension at the hoop edge translates to a force on each rod which if all the rods are tuned to the same tension would be the total force computed around the periphery of the edge (the magnitude of course as the radial direction makes the vector force sum to zero) divided by the number of rods.
Hi, it is not dissimilar to that concept, however the angle over the rim is about 45 degrees, not 90. It is also complicated by the fact that the rope is in tension across opposite ends, and also the elastic properties of the Mylar material that is used to make these drumheads. Do you know if those assumptions will sill work with those things factored in?

omurphy436 said:
Hi, it is not dissimilar to that concept, however the angle over the rim is about 45 degrees, not 90. It is also complicated by the fact that the rope is in tension across opposite ends, and also the elastic properties of the Mylar material that is used to make these drumheads. Do you know if those assumptions will sill work with those things factored in?
According to post #4 there is little or no tension in the skin till the rods are tightened so to first order assume all the tension is from the rods. Then take your value for the tuned drumhead tension and multiply that by ##2 \pi## and divide into six parts, one for each rod. That should be the approximate vertical force on each rod. I would assume the force on the rods is essentially vertical and not worry about the 45 vs 90 degrees for now. A rope on a pulley changes direction over some radius as well. Then you can work on doing a more detailed numerical simulation.

1. What is the purpose of studying the forces on drum lugs?

The purpose of studying the forces on drum lugs is to better understand the mechanical properties and stresses that affect the performance and durability of drum lugs. This knowledge can then be used to inform the design and engineering of drum lugs to improve their functionality and longevity.

2. How do drum lugs contribute to the overall sound of a drum?

Drum lugs play a crucial role in the overall sound of a drum. They are responsible for holding the drumhead in place and exerting pressure on it, which affects the tension and resonance of the drumhead. The placement and design of drum lugs can also impact the distribution of sound waves and alter the tone of the drum.

3. What factors affect the forces on drum lugs?

There are several factors that can affect the forces on drum lugs, including the size and weight of the drum, the type and tension of the drumhead, the angle and placement of the lug, and the force of the drummer's strike. These factors can vary depending on the type of drum and the playing style, and can greatly impact the stress and strain on the drum lugs.

4. How can engineering design be used to improve the performance of drum lugs?

By studying the forces on drum lugs, engineers can identify areas of improvement and develop new designs that can better withstand the stresses and strains of drumming. This can include using stronger and more durable materials, optimizing the placement and angle of the lugs, and incorporating innovative features to enhance the sound and functionality of the drum lugs.

5. What are the potential benefits of understanding the forces on drum lugs?

Understanding the forces on drum lugs can lead to various benefits, such as improving the overall sound and performance of drums, increasing the durability and lifespan of drum lugs, and reducing the risk of damage or breakage during drumming. This knowledge can also inform the development of new and improved drum lug designs that can enhance the playing experience for drummers.