Uncovering the Mystery of Wave Momentum Transfer

In summary, it seems that waves have both a wave-like momentum and a particle-like momentum. It is currently unclear which of these two momentum types is stronger.
Maxwell's Demon
Apparently what I thought I understood about waves is wrong: there seems to be a net momentum transfer with mechanical waves, as well as photons (it seems they're perfectly analogous). I hope some of the experts on the board can help to clarify this issue; perhaps it’s less surprising to others here than it is to me.

I recently found this discussion on the topic of wave momentum started by Carl Mungan, Associate Professor at the US Naval Academy: http://www.usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/Scholarship/WaveMomentum.html There’s a list of references at the bottom of the page, and this reference was cited in Dr. Mungan’s last post as his key reference: Reuben Benumof, "Simple harmonic motion in harmonic waves," AJP 48, 387-392 (May 1980)

If this is true, then everything else I’ve read online about wave momentum, and all the applets I’ve seen, are wrong (or at least confined to one special case scenario). And following the discussion in that link, it appears that most physics professors also incorrectly believe that mechanical waves transfer zero net momentum.

This question has gotten me thinking that maybe we can interpret any wave in the manner QM describes photons, as both a wave and a particle.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Indeed any wave can be quantised -- leading to a particle of that particular wave. In condensed matter physics this is often done, leading to phonons, plasmons, etc.

genneth said:
Indeed any wave can be quantised -- leading to a particle of that particular wave. In condensed matter physics this is often done, leading to phonons, plasmons, etc.

Thanks genneth. It gives one a whole new perspective to look at macroscopic phenomena like waves on water as ‘wavicles.’ Weird.

I’m having some trouble finding the method for determining the net momentum of a sound wave – all the papers in Munga’s thread cost $19/ea for us untermenchen. I'd like to see what it would take to build a self-lifting ultrasonic acoustic levitation device (driven by an external power source).

Here's a video of acoustic levitation, which I think is pretty cool stuff: http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=acoustic+levitation&hl=en

Anyone got those equations handy? I’d be much obliged (well at least $19 worth ;)

Last edited:

Related to Uncovering the Mystery of Wave Momentum Transfer

1. What is wave momentum transfer?

Wave momentum transfer is the transfer of momentum from a wave to an object or medium. It occurs when the wave encounters a surface or boundary and exerts a force on it, causing it to move or deform.

2. How does wave momentum transfer work?

Wave momentum transfer works through the exchange of energy between the wave and the object or medium it encounters. The wave carries energy in the form of momentum, which is transferred to the object upon impact, causing it to move or deform.

3. What are some real-life examples of wave momentum transfer?

Some real-life examples of wave momentum transfer include the movement of ocean waves pushing a surfboard, the transfer of momentum from sound waves to a microphone, and the transfer of momentum from seismic waves to buildings during an earthquake.

4. How is wave momentum transfer studied in science?

Scientists study wave momentum transfer through experiments and mathematical models. They may use instruments such as force sensors and accelerometers to measure the force and motion of objects experiencing wave momentum transfer. They also use equations and calculations to analyze the data and make predictions.

5. Why is understanding wave momentum transfer important?

Understanding wave momentum transfer is important in various fields such as engineering, oceanography, and seismology. It helps us design structures that can withstand the impact of waves, predict the behavior of waves in different environments, and develop technologies that utilize wave energy.