Undamped Harmonic Motion of a rod

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 4K views
ah yeah, duh!

x(t)= [(P/k) / (1-(Wn/Ω)^2)]sin(Ωt) + Acos(Wn*t) + Bsin(Wn*t) - mg/k
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Or acutally, couldn't I just find that with

x(0)=-mg/k= [(P/k) / (1-(Wn/Ω)^2)]sin(Ωt) + Acos(Wn*t) + Bsin(Wn*t)

so

A=-mg/k
 
Feodalherren said:
Or acutally, couldn't I just find that with

x(0)=-mg/k= [(P/k) / (1-(Wn/Ω)^2)]sin(Ωt) + Acos(Wn*t) + Bsin(Wn*t)

so

A=-mg/k
No, that only works at t=0. Over time, the average of that sum of trig functions is zero, not -mg/k.
 
So then by the principle of superpositioning it should be
x(t)= [(P/k) / (1-(Wn/Ω)^2)]sin(Ωt) + Acos(Wn*t) + Bsin(Wn*t) - mg/k

but then I arrive back at my original issue - how do I find A and B. I only have one initial condition?
 
Feodalherren said:
So then by the principle of superpositioning it should be
x(t)= [(P/k) / (1-(Wn/Ω)^2)]sin(Ωt) + Acos(Wn*t) + Bsin(Wn*t) - mg/k

but then I arrive back at my original issue - how do I find A and B. I only have one initial condition?
No, you have two. At time zero it is at rest in the equilibrium position.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Feodalherren