1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undergrad research

  1. Sep 29, 2009 #1
    Hey guys

    I'm a sophomore undergraduate majoring in physics and I would at some point in my career work in particle physics or condensed matter physics. If I want to go into this area of study, how do you guys suggest I try to get involved in some undergraduate research. I need a lot of help in this area. I am clueless as to how research as an undergrad goes and how you go about doing it. Any advice would be much appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2009 #2


    User Avatar

    Start by talking to your professors. Are any of them in that field, or something related? See if they'd be willing to take you on as a research assistant next summer. You can also apply for REU (research experience for undergraduates) programs, but you have a better chance of getting into one if you've already done research at your home institution.
  4. Sep 30, 2009 #3
    Are you in a large research university, a small liberal arts college, or something in between?
  5. Sep 30, 2009 #4
    I am at a large research university.
  6. Sep 30, 2009 #5
  7. Oct 1, 2009 #6
    thanks guys
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook