Undergrad Thermal Physics recommendations

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of learning thermal dynamics and book recommendations for self-study. The textbook, "Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics" by H.B. Callen, is mentioned as a resource for the course. There is a question raised about the effectiveness of the postulatory approach of Callen, as well as a recommendation for another book on statistical mechanics and thermodynamics influenced by Callen's text. The conversation also touches on the debate between starting with "phenomenological thermodynamics" or building from molecular physics and thermo statistics. It is suggested that the latter may be more suitable for an undergraduate curriculum.
HououinKyouma
Hey guys, I have Thermal as a course in this (undergrad) semester and the teacher is very bad. Any book recommendations for me to study entirely on my own? This is what we have to cover in the course:
1599464411876.png

1599464479166.png

1599464545781.png

Likes madscientist_93
Physics news on Phys.org
H. B. Callen, Thermodynamics and an Introduction to
Thermostatistics, John Wiley&Sons, New York, Chichester,
Brisbane, Toronto, Singapore, 2 edn. (1985).

Likes madscientist_93
vanhees71 said:
H. B. Callen, Thermodynamics and an Introduction to
Thermostatistics, John Wiley&Sons, New York, Chichester,
Brisbane, Toronto, Singapore, 2 edn. (1985).
Do you think the postulatory approach of Callen is a good way to learn thermodynamics ? I have heard that it is an outdated way of learning thermodynamics instead of building ground up from molecular physics and thermo statistics.

By the way, Robert H Swendsen ( a student of Callen ) has written An Introduction to Statistical Mechanics and Thermodynamics influenced by Callen's text.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0198853238/?tag=pfamazon01-20

From a theoretical point of view that may be right. You can do everything without "phenomenological thermodynamics", just starting from the Liouville equation in mechanics, but I don't think that this is a good idea in the undergrad curriculum. Classical statistics is anyway a delicate subject, and I'd rather wait with statistical physics until after the QM 1 lecture and teach it right away as quantum statistics, with the classical statistics as the corresponding limit. On the other hand in the experimental-physical course you also have thermodynamics in the 1st semester, and for such a course, I don't know any better book than Callen.

Likes madscientist_93

1. What is the purpose of studying thermal physics in undergraduate education?

Thermal physics is the study of heat and its effects on matter. It is an important branch of physics that helps us understand how energy is transferred and transformed in various systems. By studying thermal physics, students can gain a deeper understanding of fundamental physical concepts and their applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and materials science.

2. What topics are typically covered in an undergraduate thermal physics course?

Undergraduate thermal physics courses typically cover topics such as thermodynamics, heat transfer, kinetic theory of gases, and statistical mechanics. These topics provide a foundation for understanding the behavior of matter at the microscopic level and its macroscopic effects on our daily lives.

3. What are some recommended textbooks for studying thermal physics at the undergraduate level?

Some commonly recommended textbooks for undergraduate thermal physics include "Thermal Physics" by Charles Kittel and Herbert Kroemer, "Introduction to Thermal Physics" by Daniel V. Schroeder, and "Thermal Physics: Concepts and Practice" by Allen L. Wasserman. These textbooks cover the fundamental concepts and provide a good balance of theory and applications.

4. Are there any online resources or simulations that can supplement the learning of thermal physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and simulations available to supplement the learning of thermal physics. Some examples include PhET Interactive Simulations, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Khan Academy. These resources can provide visual and interactive representations of concepts and allow for hands-on learning.

5. What are some potential career paths for students who have a strong understanding of thermal physics?

Students with a strong understanding of thermal physics can pursue careers in various fields such as engineering, materials science, renewable energy, and research and development. They can also apply their knowledge to solve real-world problems related to energy efficiency, climate change, and sustainable development.