Undergraduate/Graduate Research Question

• Thread starter jmason52
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the individual is in the process of applying for graduate school in Physics and has a BS degree in Biology. They have made an appointment to speak with the chairman of the graduate admissions committee for physics and discussed their interest in gravity, gravity waves, and relativity. The chairman suggested considering solar research instead, as it has more funding and opportunities. The individual is seeking opinions on whether this is normal in these types of discussions and if it is good advice given their background. They also mention that LIGO and LISA are important for gravity wave research, but LISA may not get launched and solar research may be a better option in terms of job opportunities. The conversation also alludes to the possibility of attending Montana State, which is known
jmason52
I am in the process of applying for graduate school in Physics. I already have a BS degree in Biology, so am only taking the requisite courses both at a local community college, and as an undergraduate at the university in question. Last week, I made an appointment to speak with the chairman of the graduate admissions committee for physics there to discuss my options. Along the way, research opportunities came up.

He seemed to think that funding wasn't in any immediate danger, at least for the next 5 years. After that, he was fuzzy. But then he asked me what I was interested in. I told him gravity, gravity waves, and the relativity associated with them. He advised that there was only one professor that studied that, and that he didnt think there was much going on in that field, at least until the next satellite launch in 2013 or 2015? He then suggested that instead, I consider solar research. Said they had several big groups on that, lots of money, yada, yada, yada.

Is this advice normal in these types of discussions? Do you think, given what background I've related, that it might be good advice? I don't mind solar research - in fact, that in some form would probably have been my second choice anyway. It just seemed odd that he tried so strongly to steer me that direction.

Thanks for your opinions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity wave research is very dependent on LIGO (which is working but not expected to detect anything) and LISA (which would detect them but might never get launched). I think he might be referring to the LISA Pathfinder Mission, which will probably still get launched sometime in 2013. It's mostly testing the technology needed for LISA, not gravitational waves. So if LISA doesn't get launched at all, you'd really have nothing to work with, and be unlikely to find a job in the field.

Sounds like you're looking at attending Montana State. They are a big center for solar research, which has far more of a future, so look into that unless you really had your heart set on working with gravitational waves. All my friends working in that field are doing things like predicting what LISA might see and trying to figure out how to reduce the LISA data and get rid of background noise; their research might never actually be useful.

1. What is undergraduate/graduate research?

Undergraduate/graduate research is a process of conducting original investigations or experiments in a specific field of study under the guidance of a faculty mentor. It involves formulating a research question, collecting and analyzing data, and presenting findings.

2. How do I come up with a research question?

There are several ways to come up with a research question. You can start by identifying a gap in existing literature or by exploring your own interests and curiosities. It is important to choose a question that is specific, feasible, and relevant to your field of study.

3. What are the benefits of doing undergraduate/graduate research?

Undergraduate/graduate research allows you to gain hands-on experience in your field of study, develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and build a strong relationship with a faculty mentor. It also enhances your resume and can lead to opportunities for publication or presentations at conferences.

4. How long does undergraduate/graduate research typically take?

The duration of undergraduate/graduate research can vary depending on the scope and complexity of the project. It can range from a few months to a year or more. It is important to discuss the timeline with your faculty mentor and plan accordingly.

5. Do I need any prior experience to do undergraduate/graduate research?

No, prior experience is not necessary to do undergraduate/graduate research. However, it is helpful to have a strong foundation in your field of study and a willingness to learn and work hard. Your faculty mentor will provide guidance and support throughout the research process.