Understanding air particle velocity as cross product freq x disp

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
The_Lobster
Messages
28
Reaction score
0
I'm reading a book on microphones and came across the following:

The relation between air particle velocity (u) and particle displacement (x) is given by:
[itex]u(t) = j\omega \times x(t)[/itex]

where [itex]\omega = 2\pi f[/itex] and [itex]x(t)[/itex] is the maximum particle displacement value.

and then it goes off talking about something else...

I feel stupid for asking this, but I don't get how the above equation works? For one, I thought cross products could only be be involving vectors? Aren't all the terms above scalars? Should I treat it as a dot product?

Any help in understanding the above, so I can see how the terms affect each other is greatly appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is a cross product. It looks like the standard equation for velocity of a particle moving in simple harmonic motion.

I don't know why the book used ##\times## as a multiplication sign here.
 
Thanks, AlephZero! Typical of me getting thrown off by poor notation...
 
AlephZero: Are you saying that that equation is pretty much: [itex]v = - A\omega \sin \omega t[/itex]? Does that mean I can consider the "maximum particle displacement" in the first equation, as the amplitude, A?