Understanding Atomic Decay Pathways

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of manipulating the decay of an atom from an excited state to the ground state through different pathways. It is determined that the probability of decay along a specific pathway is dependent on the transition dipole matrix elements connecting the relevant states. It is also mentioned that it may be possible to use an electric or magnetic field to change the decay rate by altering the overlap integrals of the states, but this would require complex calculations.
Higgy
I've drawn up a simple system to help with my question.

Suppose we prepare an atom in an excited state ([itex]| 4 \rangle [/itex] in the figure), and it can spontaneously decay to the ground state ([itex]| 1 \rangle [/itex]) through either of two intermediate states ([itex]| 2 \rangle [/itex] or [itex]| 3 \rangle [/itex]).

Is the probability that it decays along a particular pathway dependent only on the transition dipole matrix elements connecting the relevant states of that pathway?

Is there a way (even for a similar, but different system) that I could "force" the atom to decay one way and not the other?

I'm trying to dream up an exhaustive list of possibilities (which might end up being a short list). One thought I had was to apply a electric field to Stark shift the states out of resonance (but the system becomes complicated, due to mixing...). Similarly with a magnetic field, if I had specified magnetic sublevels.

Just thought I'd put the question out there to see if there are any interesting related phenomena that people know of.

decay1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The two paths may not be equivalent. For instance, one may be related to a dipole forbidden transition, meaning the other path will dominate.

In general, it is not possible to change the relative natural decay rate of the two paths. However, if the states are degenerate, it could be in some cases possible to use that degeneracy to affect the decay, if that decay is not the same for all sub-states.

What you are trying to do is to change the overlap integrals. An electric or magnetic field will change the shape of the wave function of those states, so yes it is possible, but any calculations needed will not be trivial.

What is atomic decay?

Atomic decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy by emitting particles or radiation, resulting in the transformation of the nucleus into a more stable state.

What are the different types of atomic decay?

The three main types of atomic decay are alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle, which consists of two protons and two neutrons. Beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle, which can be either an electron or a positron. Gamma decay involves the emission of a gamma ray, which is a high-energy photon.

What factors influence the rate of atomic decay?

The rate of atomic decay is influenced by the amount of energy released during the decay, the stability of the nucleus, and the presence of any external forces such as temperature and pressure. The half-life of an isotope, which is the time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay, is also a factor in the rate of atomic decay.

How is atomic decay pathway determined?

The atomic decay pathway is determined by the type of nucleus and the amount of energy released during the decay. The type of decay and the particles or radiation emitted can be predicted using the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

Why is understanding atomic decay pathways important?

Understanding atomic decay pathways is important for a variety of reasons. It allows us to predict the behavior of unstable nuclei, which can have implications in nuclear energy, medicine, and other fields. It also helps us understand the origins of elements and the processes that occur in the universe, such as nuclear fusion and fission.