Understanding Bra Ket Correspondence and Proving (1.8) Transformation

• I
  • Thread starter Kashmir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bra ket
In summary: These constructions are invalid: you can't mix orthodox linear algebra notation with bras and kets. It's one or the other.
Kashmir
IMG_20211002_214821.JPG

I can't follow how the above argument leads to (1.8).

I am able to prove it only if I can show ##\langle a \mid c\rangle\langle b+c\rangle=(\langle a|+\langle b|) c\rangle## but I don't understand why the bra transformations <P| ,<Q| obey
(<P|+ <Q|)x = <P|x + <Q|x .
Is it an assumption?

Please help me

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kashmir said:
View attachment 290057

I can't follow how the above argument leads to (1.8).

I am able to prove it only if I can show ##\langle a \mid c\rangle+\langle b+c\rangle=(\langle a|+\langle b|) c\rangle## but I don't understand why the bra transformations <P| ,<Q| obey
(<P|+ <Q|)x = <P|x + <Q|x .
Is it an assumption?

Please help me
It's not an assumption. In order to make progress with QM - and especially Dirac notation - you are going to have to learn some formal linear algebra and, in particularm how to use defined properties to construct proofs.

(1.8) follows directly from the conjugate linearity of the inner product.

PeroK said:
It's not an assumption. In order to make progress with QM - and especially Dirac notation - you are going to have to learn some formal linear algebra and, in particularm how to use defined properties to construct proofs.

(1.8) follows directly from the conjugate linearity of the inner product.
Perhaps you mean this:

##(a+b, c)=(|a+b\rangle,|c\rangle)=\langle a+b \mid c\rangle -(1)##Also
##(a+b, c)=(a, c)+(b, c)=\langle a \mid c\rangle+\langle b \mid c\rangle-(2)##

From equations 1,2 we have

##\langle a+b \mid c\rangle=\langle a \mid c\rangle+\langle b \mid c\rangle## and not ##\langle a+b \mid c\rangle=(\langle a|+\langle b|) c\rangle## which is my doubt.

Kashmir said:
Perhaps you mean this:

##(a+b, c)=(|a+b\rangle,|c\rangle)=\langle a+b \mid c\rangle -(1)##Also
##(a+b, c)=(a, c)+(b, c)=\langle a \mid c\rangle+\langle b \mid c\rangle-(2)##

From equations 1,2 we have

##\langle a+b \mid c\rangle=\langle a \mid c\rangle+\langle b \mid c\rangle## and not ##\langle a+b \mid c\rangle=(\langle a|+\langle b|) c\rangle## which is my doubt.
These constructions are invalid: you can't mix orthodox linear algebra notation with bras and kets. It's one or the other. Note how careful the author of the section you posted was to keep the terminology consistent.

In any case, I thought the question was how to prove that:$$\langle u|\alpha^* \ \leftrightarrow \ \alpha |u\rangle$$What that means is: if ##\langle u|## is the bra corresponding to the ket ##|u \rangle##, then the bra ##\langle u|\alpha^*##corresponds to the ket ##\alpha |u\rangle##.

Note that ##\alpha## is a scalar - you also seem to be confused by the roles of scalars and kets. You may need a course in linear algebra before you can proceed any further with QM.

Likes PeterDonis

1. What is the Bra Ket correspondence?

The Bra Ket correspondence is a mathematical concept that relates the bra and ket notation used in quantum mechanics. It is a way of representing the inner product between two vectors, where the bra represents the conjugate transpose of the ket.

2. How is the Bra Ket correspondence used in quantum mechanics?

The Bra Ket correspondence is used to calculate the probability of a quantum system being in a certain state. It allows for the calculation of the inner product between two quantum states, which is then used to determine the probability of the system being in one of those states.

3. What is the significance of the (1.8) transformation in the Bra Ket correspondence?

The (1.8) transformation is a specific transformation that is used to convert between the bra and ket notation. It is significant because it allows for the calculation of the inner product between two vectors using only the bra notation, which is often easier to work with mathematically.

4. How is the (1.8) transformation proven?

The (1.8) transformation can be proven using basic linear algebra and the properties of the inner product. By expanding the inner product using the bra and ket notation and manipulating the terms, it can be shown that the (1.8) transformation holds true.

5. What is the importance of understanding the Bra Ket correspondence in quantum mechanics?

The Bra Ket correspondence is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used extensively in calculations and equations. Understanding it is crucial for accurately describing and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, which has many practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering.