Understanding Conditional Probabilities

In summary, the question asks for the probability of picking a nickel from the right pocket, given that a nickel has already been picked. The correct answer is 9/23, found by taking the probability of picking a nickel from the right pocket (3/7) and dividing it by the sum of the probabilities of picking a nickel from both pockets (3/7 + 2/3). The mistake in the attempt at a solution was assuming that there are 5 total nickels and 10 total coins, instead of taking into account the different distribution of nickels in each pocket.
CmdrGuard

Homework Statement

Suppose you have 3 nickels and 4 dimes in your right pocket and 2 nickels and a quarter in your left pocket. You pick a pocket at random and from it select a coin at random. If it is a nickel, what is the probability that it came from your right pocket?

2. The attempt at a solution

Let N be the event of picking a nickel, and R be the event of picking the right pocket.

My understanding is as follows:

What the question is asking for is [itex]P_{N}(R)[/itex], that is, the probability of picking the right pocket, given that you already picked a nickel.

I understand that
[itex]P(NR) = P(N)\bullet P_{N}(R)[/itex].

I figured that [itex]P(NR) = \frac{1}{2}\frac{3}{7}[/itex] because there is a 50% chance I pick the right pocket and then a 3/7th chance that within that pocket I pick a nickel.

If I am making a mistake I suspect this is it.

Then I also figured that [itex]P(N)=\frac{5}{10}[/itex] since out of the total 10 coins in both pockets, 5 of them are nickels.

So I simply solved for [itex]P_{N}(R)[/itex] and I got [itex]\frac{3}{7}[/itex], which is wrong.

But where is my logic incorrect?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
P(N) looks wrong, you cannot say that there are 5 total nickels and 10 total coins. Instead, you have to sum the probability of picking a nickel out of the right pocket and picking a nickel out of the left pocket.

Yes, you can say "there are 5 total nickels and 10 total coins". That is given. What you cannot do is say "there is a 50% chance I pick the right pocket" when that is the probability you are asked to find.

You have a total of 5 nickels, three in your left pocket and two in your right. If you take a nickel out of your pockets, the probability it came from your right pocket is 2/5.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, you can say "there are 5 total nickels and 10 total coins". That is given.

You're right, what I meant to say was that you cannot use that fact alone to find his P(N), you need to know the distribution in each pocket.But the answer I got was 9/23.
There is a 3/7 chance of picking a nickel out of the right pocket, and a 2/3 chance of picking a nickel out of the left pocket. So the probability of the nickel coming from the right pocket is [itex]\frac{\frac{3}{7}}{\frac{3}{7} + \frac{2}{3}} = \frac{9}{23}[/itex].

Unless my logic is wrong.

1. What is a conditional probability?

A conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is denoted by P(A|B), where A and B are events and P(A|B) represents the probability of event A happening given that event B has already occurred.

2. How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability can be calculated using the formula P(A|B) = P(A∩B)/P(B), where P(A∩B) represents the probability of both events A and B occurring together, and P(B) represents the probability of event B occurring.

3. What is the difference between conditional probability and joint probability?

Conditional probability focuses on the likelihood of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred, while joint probability refers to the likelihood of two events occurring simultaneously. Conditional probability is calculated using joint probability, but it takes into account the occurrence of one event.

4. How is conditional probability used in real-life situations?

Conditional probability is used in various real-life situations, such as weather forecasting, medical diagnosis, and financial risk assessment. It helps in making informed decisions by considering the occurrence of one event in relation to another.

5. What is the importance of understanding conditional probabilities?

Understanding conditional probabilities is crucial in making accurate predictions and informed decisions in various fields, including science, business, and everyday life. It allows us to assess the likelihood of an event occurring in different situations, and make more informed choices based on these probabilities.