Understanding Function Notation in Higher Level Mathematics

In summary, the conversation is about a newcomer to a forum seeking help with understanding function notation in higher level mathematics, specifically in relation to engineering math. The confusion arose when looking at Paul's Online Notes on ODE and trying to understand Newton's Second Law as a differential equation. There is a discussion about whether force should be considered a three-dimensional function or not, and the idea that the graph of a function can live in higher dimensions than the actual function itself.
Artimodes
Hello everyone,

I'm a newcomer to this forum! I've been having particular difficulty lately with understanding function notation in higher level mathematics. I felt like it was a general post so I posted in the general math section. I've finished calculus 3 and am going to take engineering math (basically ODE and applications) next spring.

It is my understanding that for a three dimensional function, for example an elliptic paraboloid, it's written like:

f(x,y)= z =x2+y2

However, after looking at Paul's Online Notes on ODE here, he starts to describe Newton's Second Law as a differential equation. I knew that, but his notation threw me off:

eq0006MP.gif

Is force in this case a three dimensional function, due to force being a function of the derivative of velocity while velocity is a function of time? Just confused.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if it is helpful to refer to the function as being 3-dimensional , or functions

being n-dimensional. Strictly speaking, the graph is 2-dimensional, but it lives

in 3-dimensional space. In the sense of F(t,v) , you can say that F depends on two

parameters, and, if you were to graph force using axes for t,v the (two-dimensional)

graph would live in 3-D.

1. What is function notation?

Function notation is a way to represent a mathematical function using symbols and expressions. It is commonly used to describe relationships between variables and their corresponding outputs.

2. How is function notation written?

Function notation is typically written as f(x), with "f" representing the function name and "x" representing the input variable. This format can be modified to include more than one input variable, such as f(x,y) for a function with two variables.

3. What does the input variable represent in function notation?

The input variable in function notation represents the independent variable, or the value that is being input into the function. It is also known as the "x-value" or the "domain" of the function.

4. What does the output variable represent in function notation?

The output variable in function notation represents the dependent variable, or the resulting value that is produced by the function when the input variable is given. It is also known as the "y-value" or the "range" of the function.

5. How do you evaluate a function using function notation?

To evaluate a function using function notation, you simply substitute the given input value into the function and solve for the output value. For example, if f(x) = 3x + 2 and the input value is x = 5, the function can be evaluated as f(5) = 3(5) + 2 = 17. This means that when the input is 5, the output of the function is 17.