Understanding Geometric Meaning of Ax≤b

• Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the geometric interpretation of the constraint system of a linear program, which defines a polyhedron that restricts the values of a column vector x. The intersection of all these planes forms the polyhedron. It is mentioned that in general, these planes can be hyperplanes. The conversation then moves on to discussing the efficient solution for finding the maximum volume rectangle within a given polyhedron, as proposed by Dr. Boyd at Stanford University. The solution involves maximizing the product of the dimensions of the rectangle, with a power of 1/n in the objective function. The constraint is derived from the definition of a polyhedron, with the use of a_{ij}^+ and a_{ij}^-
EngWiPy
Hi,

Suppose we have [tex]m\times n[/tex] matrix [tex]\mathbf{A}[/tex], and [tex]n\times 1[/tex] column vector [tex]\mathbf{x}[/tex]. Then what do we mean by:

[tex]\mathbf{A}\mathbf{x}\leq \mathbf{b}[/tex]

geometrically?

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It looks like the constraint system if a linear program. The system in most cases defines a polyhedral (that can be shown to be convex) that restricts x to its interior. This occurs in many areas such as sandwich making, in that case we can make n types of sandwiches, we are constained by m conditions on our sandwiches such as our available mustard or number of lemon peal sandwich rolls. We can visualize our posible set of sandwiches by a polyhedra.

lurflurf said:
It looks like the constraint system if a linear program. The system in most cases defines a polyhedral (that can be shown to be convex) that restricts x to its interior. This occurs in many areas such as sandwich making, in that case we can make n types of sandwiches, we are constained by m conditions on our sandwiches such as our available mustard or number of lemon peal sandwich rolls. We can visualize our posible set of sandwiches by a polyhedra.

So, the intersection of all these planes is the polyhedron?

Yes, in general they can be hyper planes.

lurflurf said:
Yes, in general they can be hyper planes.

Ok thank you

Dr. Boyd at Stanford University, says the following in the solution of a homework: The question is: find the maximum volume rectangle [tex]\mathbf{R}=\{\mathbf{x}:\mathbf{l}\leq\mathbf{x}\leq\mathbf{u}\}[/tex] in a polyhedron [tex]\mathbf{P}=\{\mathbf{x}:\mathbf{A}\mathbf{x}\leq\mathbf{b}\}[/tex].

He says that, an efficient solution would be:

[tex]\text{max }\left(\prod_{i=1}^n\left(u_i-l_i\right)\right)^{1/n}[/tex]
[tex]\text{Subject to }\sum_{i=1}^n\left(a_{ij}^+u_j-a_{ij}^-l_j\right)\leq b_i,\,\,\text{ for }i=1,2,\ldots,n[/tex]
where [tex]a_{ij}^+=\text{max}\{a_{ij},0\}[/tex] and [tex]a_{ij}^-=\text{max}\{-a_{ij},0\}[/tex].

Here I have a couple of questions:

1- I assume that [tex]u_i-l_i[/tex] are the dimensions of the rectangle, and so, the volume will be the product of these dimensions, right? Then why we have the power of [tex]1/n[/tex] in the objective function?

2- How did he get the constraint? and why?

Any help in these two questions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Related to Understanding Geometric Meaning of Ax≤b

1. What does the inequality Ax≤b represent geometrically?

The inequality Ax≤b represents a half-plane on a coordinate plane. The boundary line of the half-plane is determined by the equation Ax=b, and all points on or below this line satisfy the inequality.

2. How do I graph an inequality of the form Ax≤b?

To graph an inequality of the form Ax≤b, first graph the boundary line Ax=b. Then, depending on whether the inequality symbol is ≤ or <, shade in the half-plane above or below the boundary line respectively.

3. How does the value of A affect the graph of Ax≤b?

The value of A determines the slope of the boundary line Ax=b. A larger value of A results in a steeper slope, while a smaller value of A results in a shallower slope. This can change the size and shape of the half-plane on the graph.

4. What is the significance of the point (0,b) on the graph of Ax≤b?

The point (0,b) is significant because it lies on the boundary line of the half-plane and represents the y-intercept. This point can be used to determine the direction and orientation of the graph.

5. How can I use the graph of Ax≤b to solve a real-life problem?

The graph of Ax≤b can be used to represent and solve real-life problems involving inequalities. For example, if A represents the cost per unit and b represents the budget, the graph can be used to determine the maximum number of units that can be purchased within the budget.