Understanding Implicit Solutions: Solving a Basic Problem with x*sin(y) = cos(y)

• Thread starter logan3
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the implicit solution to the differential equation \frac{dy}{dx} (x*cot(y) +1) = -1 and the process involves using the product rule and simplifying the equation to \frac{dy}{dx}*(x*cot(y) + 1) = -1. The speaker also mentions getting stuck when trying to eliminate sin(y) and eventually finding the solution by using the product rule.
logan3
hi,

I could you some help with a basic problem please.

it asks to verify that x*sin(y) = cos(y) is an implicit solution to [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] (x*cot(y) +1) = -1

Here's what I have so far:
x*sin(y) = cos (y)
[itex]\frac{dx}{dx}[/itex] * sin(y) * (([itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]) * sin(y)) * ([itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]) = ([itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex]) cos(y) * ([itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex])
[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] sin(y) * cos(y) * [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = -sin(y) * [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]

I'm stuck here. For example, if I try to divide both sides by sin(y) in order to elimnate sin(y), then I can't figure out how to get to the d.e. from there:
ex. (sin(y) * cos(y) * [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]) / sin(y) = -(sin(y) * [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]) / sin(y)
[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] cos(y) * [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = - [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]
add [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] to both sides
[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] cos(y) * [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] = 0
factor
[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] * (cos(y) + 1) = 0

thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Doing the product rule on x*sin(y) should involve adding some functions together at the end

thanks, I got the answer after adding in the product rule:

[itex]x*sin(y) = cos(y)[/itex]

take the derivative of both sides

[itex]\rightarrow \frac{dx}{dx}*sin(y) + \frac{dy}{dx}*cos(y)*x = \frac{dy}{dx}*(-sin(y))[/itex]

divide both sides by sin(y)

[itex]\rightarrow 1 + \frac{dy}{dx}*\frac{cos(y)}{sin(y)}*x = -\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]

subtract -1 from both sides and add [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] from both sides

[itex]\rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx}*cot(y)*x + \frac{dy}{dx} = -1[/itex]

factor

[itex]\rightarrow \frac{dy}{dx}*(x*cot(y) + 1) = -1[/itex]

Related to Understanding Implicit Solutions: Solving a Basic Problem with x*sin(y) = cos(y)

1. What exactly is considered a "basic" problem?

A basic problem can refer to any issue or challenge that is fundamental or essential to a particular subject or field. It can also refer to a problem that is simple or straightforward, without any complex or advanced elements.

2. How can I find help with a basic problem?

There are several ways to find help with a basic problem. You can consult with a mentor or expert in the field, search for online resources or tutorials, or join a community or forum where you can ask for assistance.

3. Is it okay to ask for help with a basic problem?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with a basic problem. No one knows everything, and seeking assistance is a crucial part of the learning process. It is always better to ask for help than to struggle and potentially make mistakes.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for basic problems?

Improving problem-solving skills for basic problems involves practice and persistence. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, and to try different approaches or strategies. Seeking feedback and learning from your mistakes can also aid in improving problem-solving skills.

5. Can basic problems lead to more complex issues?

Yes, basic problems can often lead to more complex issues. It is important to address and solve basic problems in a timely and effective manner to prevent them from escalating into larger and more complicated problems. Additionally, solving basic problems can also help in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, making it easier to tackle more complex issues in the future.