Understanding Law of Poles (Electric)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 11K views
Ithryndil
Messages
142
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The question is this:

State the law of poles (electric) states

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


Ok, so I assume it's a typo above...and should read either:
1. State the law of poles (electric)
or
2. The law of poles (electric) states.

That is the question I am given. I feel it is important to say that this is a question on my physics final which my teacher made a take home final. That being said, I have already answered it such "Like charges repel and opposite charges attract." I have absolutely no intention of changing it if my answer proves wrong, however I am curious as to what exactly the question is getting at (couldn't find anything directly online). Thanks!

Edit: I completely understand if you don't wish to answer this question (I turn the final in tomorrow).
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I taught physics for several decades from a variety of textbooks but I never came across the "law of poles" (electric). It may be (a) an outré sobriquet for Gauss's law or (b) related to the following item that I found in Wikipedia: "The supreme law in Poland is the Constitution of Poland. Poland is a civil law legal jurisdiction and has a civil code, the Civil Code of Poland. The Polish parliament creates legislation (law) and is made up of the 'Senate' (upper house) and the Sejm (lower house)." Although (b) is the law that all Poles are expected to obey, it is highly unlikely that it would be the subject of a physics exam question. My vote is for (a).