Understanding Linear Motors: Right Hand Rule & Current Flow

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the right hand rule and left hand rule in determining the direction of force in a basic linear motor. The participants also mention the application of the Lorentz force law and the direction of the current and magnetic field. The conclusion is that the right hand rule is the most reliable method, with the current flowing downward and the force being applied to the right.
TheWonderer1
Hi there,

I attached an image of a basic linear motor. I'm a little confused if I use the right hand rule or left hand rule. I did it both ways and I think the left hand rule is the only rule that allows for a force being applied to the right. I assume the current is going down rather than upward like what it says in the left corner since the current moves clockwise.

Let me know if I'm correct on the rule and direction of the current. I'm assuming it moves through the coil in the middle.

Attachments

• IMG_2148.PNG
    IMG_2148.PNG
    22.2 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
TheWonderer1 said:
I attached an image of a basic linear motor. I'm a little confused if I use the right hand rule or left hand rule. I did it both ways and I think the left hand rule is the only rule that allows for a force being applied to the right. I assume the current is going down rather than upward like what it says in the left corner since the current moves clockwise.
I am not aware of any "left hand rule" only the right hand rule for determining the direction of the cross product of two vectors. In this scenario, you should apply the Lorentz force law to the charges traveling through the movable wire.

So when is the left hand rule usable? I've seen that it's for motor vs. right hand for generators. How do I apply the law with a magnetic field into the page and the current going up? It's just an example that I haven't seen.

TheWonderer1 said:
So when is the left hand rule usable? I've seen that it's for motor vs. right hand for generators.
I never use it. There may be some instances were it works for a specific problem, but the strict application of the right hand rule for cross products always works.
TheWonderer1 said:
How do I apply the law with a magnetic field into the page and the current going up?
The Lorentz force law states
$$\mathbf{F}=q(\mathbf{E}+\mathbf{v\times B})$$
There is no electric field shown outside the wire so ##\mathbf{E}## is zero. The charges move in the direction of ##\mathbf{I}## and you know the direction of ##\mathbf{B}##, so what is the direction of ##\mathbf{F}##?

Is the current flowing upward? The magnet field is going into the page. I do the right hand rule and I find my palm facing away from me. My pointer finger is pointing down and my middle finger is away from me. The force is to the right.

However, do you use the thumb is the current direction, field are your fingers and your palm faces the force direction? It's all confusing because there are several ways to do it.

TheWonderer1 said:
Is the current flowing upward?
It appears that it is flowing downward through the movable rail. To use the right hand rule, extend your fingers on your right hand in the direction of the first vector ##\mathbf{v}##, now adjust your hand such that you can curl your finders in the direction of the second vector ##\mathbf{B}##. Your thumb should now point in the direction of the cross product ##\mathbf{F}##.

1. What is the right hand rule and how does it apply to linear motors?

The right hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of the force on a moving charged particle in a magnetic field. In the context of linear motors, it is used to determine the direction of motion of the motor based on the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How does current flow affect the operation of a linear motor?

In a linear motor, current flow is what creates the magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets to produce motion. The direction of current flow also determines the direction of force and therefore the direction of motion of the motor.

3. What are the main components of a linear motor?

The main components of a linear motor include a stator, which contains the permanent magnets, and a moving part, or rotor, which is usually made up of windings that carry the current. Other components may include sensors, bearings, and a power supply.

4. How does the speed of a linear motor compare to other types of motors?

Linear motors can achieve very high speeds, often exceeding those of rotary motors. The absence of mechanical components like gears and bearings allows for faster acceleration and deceleration, making them ideal for high-speed applications such as in transportation systems.

5. What are some common applications of linear motors?

Linear motors have a wide range of applications, including in transportation systems like high-speed trains and maglev trains, in industrial automation for precise positioning and movement of objects, and in medical devices such as MRI machines. They are also used in consumer electronics, such as in linear actuators for smartphones and home automation systems.