Where does the factor of 2 come from in Fy=2T2 - 981?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter On Radioactive Waves
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Statics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
On Radioactive Waves
Messages
136
Reaction score
0
Okay, so I am trying to understand the method of sections so I can finish my homework. I look at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Statics/Method_of_Sections" and for the life of me, I can't understand why at the bottom of the page it says Fy=0=2T2 - 981 .

Where does the factor of 2 come from? Why not just T2? I feel like I am missing something completely obvious. Sorry for the poor notation.

I am posting this here because it is not my homework problem, and there is no work for me to show. I would just appreciate an answer, so I can do my homework. I'm totally missing the bus on this concept right now...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org