Understanding physics and problem solving

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of mastering physics at a certain level and how to overcome them. The speaker expresses the common experience of feeling confident after completing a chapter and solving all the problems, but then getting stuck on a new problem. They seek advice on how to avoid this and the response is to keep practicing and trying new problems. It is also suggested to delve deeper into problem-solving by asking "what if" questions. The conversation ends with the speaker asking for recommendations on additional resources for mastering physics.
Mastermind01
Hello,

I would like to have a good understanding of physics at my level (level of Halliday-resnick) and to be able to solve problems. It so happens that I read a chapter and solve the all the problems and exercises and I feel I am done, I know the stuff. But then up comes a problem and I get stuck, this usually happens because -

a) I don't think of something or
b) some of my conceptual understanding is wrong or foggy.

How can I avoid this, after I have 'finished' the chapter?

Thanks.
Mastermind

Physics news on Phys.org
I know what you mean. To be honest usually one can solve a problem 'quickly' if he/she has encountered it before, or at least something similar. Otherwise, it would take considerably more time to be solved depending on the complexity of the problem. I don't have much to say except keep practicing new problems.

All the best.

Likes Mastermind01
Generate your own variants on the given problems and solve those .

It is in any case a good idea to habitually probe problems at a deeper level than that just needed to 'solve' them . Asking ' what would happen if I changed this ' is a powerful learning and problem solving tool in both engineering and the sciences .

Last edited:
Likes Mastermind01 and Mr-R
Nidum said:
Generate your own variants on the given problems and solve those .
I second this.

Mastermind01 said:
Hello,

I would like to have a good understanding of physics at my level (level of Halliday-resnick) and to be able to solve problems. It so happens that I read a chapter and solve the all the problems and exercises and I feel I am done, I know the stuff. But then up comes a problem and I get stuck, this usually happens because -

a) I don't think of something or
b) some of my conceptual understanding is wrong or foggy.

How can I avoid this, after I have 'finished' the chapter?

Thanks.
Mastermind

Taken even in a limited context, I don't think that this is strange or not normal. a) and b) you give as causes, are things that can and do happen all the time, for a multitude of reasons. In a more general fashion, you'll always find some problem that you can't tackle in one sitting, even if you have studied a lot of the relevant material and solved a lot of exercises / problems. It simply is the case that any kind of skill set is built gradually, through time, with patience. In fact you must seek to find difficult problems that you can't tackle at first and give them the time they deserve.

Likes Mastermind01 and Mr-R
Thank you for your responses.

I'll certainly tweak the problems and try to solve them. Will Halliday--Resnick be enough or is there some other book I should also look at?

Thanks

1. What is the purpose of understanding physics and problem solving?

The purpose of understanding physics and problem solving is to gain a deeper understanding of the natural world and its laws, and to develop critical thinking and analytical skills that can be applied to a wide range of problems and challenges.

2. How can I improve my problem solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and to approach problems with a systematic and logical approach. It is also helpful to seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, or study groups, for extra practice and support.

3. What are some common obstacles to understanding physics and problem solving?

Some common obstacles to understanding physics and problem solving include a lack of prior knowledge or experience in the subject, difficulty with mathematical concepts and equations, and a tendency to rely on memorization rather than understanding the underlying principles.

4. How can I apply physics concepts to real-world problems?

To apply physics concepts to real-world problems, it is important to first identify the relevant principles and equations that can be used to solve the problem. Then, it is helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to use critical thinking and problem solving skills to come up with a solution.

5. Are there any tips for becoming more proficient in understanding physics and problem solving?

Some tips for becoming more proficient in understanding physics and problem solving include practicing regularly, seeking out additional resources for extra support, and approaching problems with a positive and determined attitude. It is also important to review and reflect on your problem solving strategies and to learn from any mistakes or challenges encountered along the way.