Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phase shift upon reflection

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Its always said that a reflected light ray acquires a phase shift equal to ## \pi ## if ## n_1 < n_2 ##. But considering the Fresnel coefficients, its revealed that its only for the s-polarization reflection coefficient that ## n_1 < n_2 ## causes the coefficient become negative. The p-polarization reflection coefficient becomes negative only when ## \sin^2 \theta_1 > \frac{1}{1+(\frac{n_1}{n_2})^2} ##. So why the first sentence doesn't distinguish different polarizations?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I guess the author implicitly assumes normal incidence.

4. Feb 23, 2015 #3

ShayanJ

Gold Member

I just found* that the p reflection coefficient becomes negative when ## n_2 < n_1 ##, exactly the opposite condition for s reflection coefficient!

*## n_2 \cos\theta_1<n_1 \cos\theta_2 \Rightarrow \frac{n_2}{n_1} \cos\theta_1 < \cos\theta_2 \Rightarrow \sin\theta_1\cos\theta_1 < \sin\theta_2 \cos\theta_2 \Rightarrow \sin{2\theta_1} < \sin{2 \theta_2} \Rightarrow \\ \theta_1 < \theta_2 \Rightarrow n_2 < n_1##

5. Feb 23, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does it have to do with the original problem?

6. Feb 23, 2015 #5

ShayanJ

Gold Member

It seems we have two conditions that result in ## r_p < 0## but only one for ## r_s<0 ##. So we have the following situations:
    1) ## n_1 < n_2 ## and ## \sin^2{\theta_1}<\frac{1}{1+(\frac{n_1}{n_2})^2} ##: Only the s polarization shifts phase upon reflection.
    2) ## n_1 < n_2 ## and ## \sin^2{\theta_1}>\frac{1}{1+(\frac{n_1}{n_2})^2} ##: Both polarizations shift phase upon reflection.
    3) ## n_1 > n_2 ##: Only p polarization shifts phase upon reflection.
    Well, at least now I have a clearer view. I'm beginning to think that the optics textbooks implicitly assume the light ray to have s polarization. Am I overestimating the number of textbooks that claim ## n_1 < n_2 ## means there is a phase shift upon reflection? Actually someone asked me this question and I remember in my own optics course that the professor kept repeating that there is phase shift when ## n_1 < n_2 ##. This is also abundant on the internet(this, this, this and this). But I don't remember whether textbooks claim as such or not. It seems to me that textbooks get it right but it became a misunderstanding among people.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook