Understanding Polyakov-Loop & Ward-Identity in QFT

• Thread starter marlon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qft
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of a Polyakov-loop in QFT and its physical meaning. The Ward identity was also mentioned, which states that a complicated piece of Feynman diagram coupled to a photon can be written as epsilon_mu(k) M^mu(k), then k_mu M^mu(k) = 0. This ensures that the electromagnetic current is conserved and that we never couple to a longitudinal mode in the EM field. However, the conservation of the chiral current is not preserved on a quantum level, resulting in the chiral anomaly.
marlon
Can anyone give me an explanation in layman-terms of the concept of a Polyakov-loop in QFT? What does it mean fysically. I know that this is often used in lattice QCD, but why ?

I have the same questions for a socalled Ward-identity

regards
marlon

Physics news on Phys.org
marlon said:
I have the same questions for a socalled Ward-identity

I think you are beyond me concerning lattice QCD and so on (and in QFT in general!). But I can say something about the Ward identity - but maybe you know this very well. The Ward identity (not the Ward-Takahashi identity ; we suppose the external fermion lines on shell) states that a complicated piece of Feynman diagram to which you couple a photon can be written as epsilon_mu(k) M^mu(k), then k_mu M^mu(k) = 0. M^mu is the electromagnetic current that will couple to our photon, and the ward identity guarantees that this current is conserved. So the Ward identity just says that no matter how complicated the interaction with and EM field, the part that acts as a source is a conserved current. This has then the advantage that we NEVER couple to an eventual longitudinal mode in the EM field. At least I think so :smile:

cheers,
Patrick.

vanesch said:
I think you are beyond me concerning lattice QCD and so on (and in QFT in general!). But I can say something about the Ward identity - but maybe you know this very well. The Ward identity (not the Ward-Takahashi identity ; we suppose the external fermion lines on shell) states that a complicated piece of Feynman diagram to which you couple a photon can be written as epsilon_mu(k) M^mu(k), then k_mu M^mu(k) = 0. M^mu is the electromagnetic current that will couple to our photon, and the ward identity guarantees that this current is conserved. So the Ward identity just says that no matter how complicated the interaction with and EM field, the part that acts as a source is a conserved current. This has then the advantage that we NEVER couple to an eventual longitudinal mode in the EM field. At least I think so :smile:

cheers,
Patrick.

hmm, i don't get it to be honest.

Doesn't a foton always couple to an EM-current ? Fotons make up the that EM-current. So why tlaking about their coupling that always is there.

Can a foton not couple to an EM-current.

Anybody knows something interesting on Polyakov-loops ? What are they in QFT ?

regards

marlon

thanks Patrick for replying...

marlon said:
hmm, i don't get it to be honest.
Doesn't a foton always couple to an EM-current ? Fotons make up the that EM-current. So why tlaking about their coupling that always is there.

We're talking next to each other I'm affraid. I give it one more try.

The EM field (A^mu) couples to something, and that's called the EM current. The EM current is of course NOT the EM field (or the photons). It is the charged fermionic (and if you want to, bosonic!) matter that constitutes the current.
Classically, charge is conserved, and the Ward identity is this claim on the quantum level (that means, the part of any set of Feynman graphs that couple to a photon). After Fourier transformation, current conservation (d_mu J^mu = 0) is written k_mu J^mu = 0.
The nice thing about the fact that this identity also holds on the quantum level is that _even if there were a longitudinal component in the EM field_ it wouldn't couple to any matter, so you only have to consider the two transversal degrees of freedom of the photon (epsilon^1 and epsilon^2, spacelike and perpendicular to k_photon).
But notice the peculiarity: this transversality of the photon's degrees of freedom doesn't come from the EM field itself, but rather from the fermionic matter fields that couple to it.

cheers,
patrick.

nice, very nice. Now i got the point.

Thanks for this cristalclear explanation

any ideas on this Polyakov-loop-thing yet ?

regards
marlon

I should add something. I wrote:
vanesch said:
Classically, charge is conserved, and the Ward identity is this claim on the quantum level (that means, the part of any set of Feynman graphs that couple to a photon). After Fourier transformation, current conservation (d_mu J^mu = 0) is written k_mu J^mu = 0.

In fact, when you have massless fermions, there is not only a conserved current, but there is also a conserved CHIRAL current (for memory, the current is psi-bar gamma^mu psi and the chiral current is psi-bar gamma-5 gamma^mu psi). At least classically. The funny thing is that this chiral current conservation is NOT conserved on a quantum level, so there is no quantum equivalent of the Ward identity for the chiral current conservation. This observation, where a classical symmetry is gone on the quantum level is called an anomaly, in our case the chiral anomaly.

cheers,
Patrick.

Related to Understanding Polyakov-Loop & Ward-Identity in QFT

1. What is the Polyakov-Loop in Quantum Field Theory?

The Polyakov-Loop is a mathematical object used in Quantum Field Theory (QFT) that describes the behavior of a system of strongly interacting particles at high temperatures.

2. What is the Ward Identity in QFT?

The Ward Identity is a fundamental concept in QFT that relates the behavior of a quantum system under a symmetry transformation to the behavior of the system under the original symmetry. It is a powerful tool for studying the properties of quantum systems.

3. How are the Polyakov-Loop and Ward Identity related?

The Polyakov-Loop and Ward Identity are closely related in QFT. The Polyakov-Loop is used to study the behavior of a quantum system at high temperatures, while the Ward Identity is used to study the behavior of the system under symmetry transformations. The two concepts are linked through a mathematical relationship known as the Polyakov-Ward identity.

4. What is the significance of understanding the Polyakov-Loop and Ward Identity?

Understanding the Polyakov-Loop and Ward Identity is crucial for studying the behavior of strongly interacting quantum systems. These concepts are used to analyze the properties of quantum systems at high temperatures and under symmetry transformations, providing valuable insights into the nature of these systems.

5. How is the Polyakov-Loop and Ward Identity used in practical applications?

The Polyakov-Loop and Ward Identity have many practical applications in areas such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. They are used to study the properties of quantum systems in various physical contexts, providing a deeper understanding of the behavior of these systems.