Understanding Propeller Pitch: Definition, Function, and Stalling Explained

• Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Propeller
In summary: Actually, the distance between consecutive imprints is not always constant. The pitch can change depending on the airspeed and other factors.
ank_gl
"Pitch is defined as the theoretical forward movement of a propeller during one revolution — assuming there is no "slippage" between the propeller blade and the water"
i dont, kinda, really get this definition of the pitch. i searched it at so many sites. they all say the same thing, like pitch of an airscrew(prop) is analogous to the pitch of a thread on a bolt. but the profile of the thread is same everywhere in the threaded shank whereas the profile of an airscrew (prop) changes.
can anyone clarify, where i am getting it wrong?

also what does one mean by the stalling of an airscrew, i mean stalling of airfoil means the sudden lost of lift, so that way, is it the loss of thrust in case of an airscrew

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are thinking correctly in the bolt analogy. I think the part that is getting you is that when you measure the pitch on the bolt, you move from thread to thread, down the shank. Here there is no shank. Think of it this way: If you were holding on to the prop and it was spinning, you and the prop would move forward a certain distance with every rotation of the prop. That distance you move is the pitch.

Here is a good picture of what it is.

Last edited:
FredGarvin said:
Think of it this way: If you were holding on to the prop and it was spinning, you and the prop would move forward a certain distance with every rotation of the prop. That distance you move is the pitch.

but when is this distance constant??
i mean if the airspeed is 0, the prop is not moving at all. or if the airspeed is high, prop covers a lot of distance in one rotation.
actually the problem is that i am not able to look at it from the correct frame of reference.
first i tried to think it like it was moving through a solid and leaving its precise geometry in the solid(this is the most weird thing that i have thought) and the distance between two consecutive imprints is the pitch. but i am most probably wrong in thinking it that way?
could you please clarify a bit more on this distance thing?:confused:

The definition of pitch makes no mention of speed whatsoever, only distance. For every revolution, the propeller would move a specific distance forward. So if you want to relate that to speed, use RPM.

I was a power nerd in High School. I once used a model airplane engine to drive a wind tunnel. The propeller I used had a pitch of 11 inches per revolution and the motor spun it at 16,000 rpm. So can you calculate for us what the speed of the air was...?

And yes, stalling is stalling - same issue.

russ_watters said:
I was a power nerd in High School. I once used a model airplane engine to drive a wind tunnel. The propeller I used had a pitch of 11 inches per revolution and the motor spun it at 16,000 rpm. So can you calculate for us what the speed of the air was...?

74.4 m/sec?
so the pitch actually determines the airspeed?

but when the prop is already moving, then what??
i mean is this the total relative airspeed, ie speed of air relative to prop.
is this the reason why thrust decreases with the increase in airspeed??

You got it (everything you said was pretty much correct) - though with turboprop airplanes, they use variable pitch propellers to keep the engine horsepower roughly constant in changing speeds.

russ_watters said:
though with turboprop airplanes, they use variable pitch propellers to keep the engine horsepower roughly constant in changing speeds.

so that varying pitch is called feathering?
equivalently we are changing the angle of attack, right??

russ_watters said:
keep the engine horsepower roughly constant in changing speeds.

so they vary the pitch for varying airspeed instead of varying the engine speed kewllll

Sorry, I said that wrong - they keep horsepower constant by changing pitch. But I think you knew that...

Feathering is changing the pitch (or releasing it from control) to completely eliminate the thrust. You may do this, for example, if you have an engine failure, to minimze drag.

ank_gl said:
but when is this distance constant??
i mean if the airspeed is 0, the prop is not moving at all. or if the airspeed is high, prop covers a lot of distance in one rotation.
actually the problem is that i am not able to look at it from the correct frame of reference.
first i tried to think it like it was moving through a solid and leaving its precise geometry in the solid(this is the most weird thing that i have thought) and the distance between two consecutive imprints is the pitch. but i am most probably wrong in thinking it that way?
could you please clarify a bit more on this distance thing?:confused:
interesting idea for a prop moving through a solid and aside from the fact that is completely impossible the theory there is correct.
i think i see what is confusing you and if i am correct i believe i can answer your question. see, the definition is the forward movement of the propeller through air per revoloution but it doesn't mean that aslong as your prop is spinning you are moving because the thrust still needs to overcome drag as well as weight.
perhaps a better explanation(for when the propeller is moving but the vehicle is static) would be the distance air is pushed backwards by the propeller

i used a programme that calculates the thrust, power output, power absorbed and efficiency with airspeed, rpm, no. of blade, prop dia and pitch as input.
i should get max thrust at 0 airspeed, that i m getting!
but the programme says "prop is definety stalled"!

what does this mean??
wont the system produce any thrust at this stage??(this is what stall means, i guess)
but how is this possible, every system starts from 0 initial airspeed, what is wrong here??

anyone?
pleasezzzzzzz answer!

ank_gl said:
..i should get max thrust at 0 airspeed, that i m getting!
but the programme says "prop is definety stalled"!

what does this mean??
wont the system produce any thrust at this stage??(this is what stall means, i guess)..

The system WILL produce thrust even at stall. Getting max thrust at zero is true, you could even get higher if your airspeed is negative or you're using 'reverse thrust' while moving forward.

Stall is (as wikipedia says it) - the fairly sudden loss of effectiveness of an aerodynamic surface(like propeller blades). It doesn't say 'total loss' as you might be thinking.. Or perhaps you're thinking of engine stall?

Stall on airfoils or prop blades happen when there's too much angle of attack(like inadequate speed for a heavily loaded wing). Props gain speed too, as you accelerate from zero airspeed. But firmly held at zero airspeed while spun, not only is not it's having much airspeed, the propeller blades are also heavily loaded so it stalls..

gaming_addict said:
Or perhaps you're thinking of engine stall?

nop.. i m not cofusing it with the engine stall

gaming_addict said:
Stall on airfoils or prop blades happen when there's too much angle of attack(like inadequate speed for a heavily loaded wing). Props gain speed too, as you accelerate from zero airspeed. But firmly held at zero airspeed while spun, not only is not it's having much airspeed, the propeller blades are also heavily loaded so it stalls..

so it is like airfoil, where at large angle of attacks, it stalls.
but even at small pitch(pitch determines the AoA, i guess) it shows the same message as with larger pitches.
Is it wrong??

ank_gl said:
nop.. i m not cofusing it with the engine stall

so it is like airfoil, where at large angle of attacks, it stalls.
but even at small pitch(pitch determines the AoA, i guess) it shows the same message as with larger pitches.
Is it wrong??

Yep, pitch can determine AoA, if I'm right, that is at the propeller tip only..

I think a propeller shouldn't stall up to 10 degrees AoA with the craft held at zero airspeed. If it stalls even at 1 degree, you should also see if the propeller has varying incidence-most propellers have more angle of incidence at the root than at the tip.

If it is a variable incidence, and the angle of incidence at the root is greater than 10 degrees while/even if tip incidence or pitch angle is zero, it might stall(but at the root only). So stalls are possible even at very low pitch angles for varying incidence propellers.

However for constant incident or with very little variance in incidence(root angle of incidence is equal or nearly equal to tip incidence), if it stalls with very low pitch angle, there's something wrong with it, it's no longer realistic.

Last edited:
oh i get it now. it is almost similar to the airfoil case. actually the results from that software were driving me nuts, so i was confused.
i think i understand now where i was thinking wrongs.
thanks gaming addict(well i can't believe how dumb i m)

Hey, don't mention it. I learned much about propellers by tweaking them in the X-Plane flight simulator, but I can't trust it all the time too, it gives very wrong efficiency, and engine power readings in certain situations.

Related to Understanding Propeller Pitch: Definition, Function, and Stalling Explained

What is the definition of propeller pitch?

Propeller pitch refers to the distance a propeller would move forward in one complete revolution in a solid medium, such as air or water.

How does propeller pitch affect the function of an aircraft or boat?

The pitch of a propeller determines the amount of thrust it generates, which in turn affects the speed and efficiency of an aircraft or boat. A higher pitch can result in greater speed, but may also require more power to maintain. A lower pitch may provide more control and stability.

What is the difference between fixed and variable pitch propellers?

A fixed pitch propeller has a set pitch that cannot be adjusted, while a variable pitch propeller can be adjusted while in use. This allows for more control and optimization of thrust in different conditions.

What happens when a propeller stalls?

When a propeller stalls, it loses its ability to generate lift and thrust. This can occur when the angle of attack is too high or when the propeller is spinning too slowly. Stalling can result in a loss of control and decreased efficiency.

How can propeller pitch be adjusted?

Propeller pitch can be adjusted by changing the angle of the blade or by using a mechanical or electronic system to change the pitch. In some cases, the pitch can also be adjusted manually by the pilot or operator.