1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding solution method for finding accelerations in a mechanical linkage

1. May 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I was checking my work and Chegg uses the equations differently. Can somebody tell me why? Maybe I'm misunderstanding how/why to use the equation I chose.
    Steps 1-3.JPG Steps 4-5.JPG

2. Relevant equations
    They say aB = -ω2ABRB/Ai
    I used aB = aA + αk x r - ω2rB/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    So obviously mine will be a different answer, I only found aB but it gave me an i and j component because of that cross product. Which one is correct and why? Why can they neglect the cross product?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The cross product term involves angular acceleration of the rod connecting A and B. In the Chegg problem, the angular acceleration is apparently zero.

4. May 9, 2016 #3
    How do they justify there being no angular acceleration? It doesn't say this is a static situation, so these bars should be rotating towards one another.

5. May 9, 2016 #4
    I figured it out. The problem states that the velocities are constant and therefore the angular accelerations are zero.
    Man, reading is important. Thank you for explaining this to me!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted