Understanding the concepts of capacitors

In summary, the person is frustrated because they didn't understand the basics of electric potential even after their teacher spent a week explaining it to them. They have trouble understanding the concept of applying an electrical potential to a capacitor and are seeking help.
recomendacion
I feel so frustrated because I could not understand the basics of this topic. My teacher spent like 1 week trying to explain it. I understood the math of capacitors, but I could not understand what an electric potential is. For example, what do you really mean? when you have a capacitor and apply it an electrical potential??. Here you have conceptual questions. Help me please
Captura de pantalla 2014-10-07 a la(s) 7.30.57 p.m..png

Physics news on Phys.org
For example, what do you really mean? when you have a capacitor and apply it an electrical potential??.

Basically it means you are charging up the capacitor by connecting it to a voltage source. That will put electrons on one plate so that there is a matching voltage difference (electric potential) between the two plates.

What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that is used to store and release electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

How does a capacitor work?

When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store energy. When the voltage is removed, the capacitor releases the stored energy.

What are the different types of capacitors?

There are many different types of capacitors, including ceramic, electrolytic, film, and variable capacitors. Each type has its own unique properties and is used for different purposes in electronic circuits.

What factors affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is affected by three main factors: the surface area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the type of dielectric material used. Increasing the surface area and decreasing the distance between plates will increase the capacitance, while using a higher dielectric constant material will also increase capacitance.

What are some common applications of capacitors?

Capacitors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including power supplies, audio equipment, and electronic circuits. They are also commonly used in timing circuits, filters, and as energy storage devices in electric vehicles and renewable energy systems.