Understanding the concept of Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of energy and its relation to physical actions such as pushing a box with a car. It is determined that 630 joules of energy is needed to move the box, which is equivalent to burning a certain amount of petrol. The efficiency of this conversion is low and work can involve more than just displacing a mass by a distance. Other forms of energy such as electrical, thermal, and radiant can also involve work.
tomtomtom1
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Hello all

I am trying to better understand the concept of Energy and i was hoping some could help clear a few things up.

I have a car that is pushing a box with a force of 10N.

The car pushes the box 63 meters as shown below:-

joules.JPG
I know that the energy which is the capacity to do work is calculated by the force times the distance, so in this case in would need 630 Joules of energy to move the move with my car.

Given this example would it be correct to say that i will need to burn 630 joules of petrol in order to move this box?
I am trying to connect physical energy such as fire, lighting etc to this number of 630 joules.

Finally, would it be correct to say that in the definition of Energy which is "the capacity to do work", work always relates to a mass being displaced by some distance?

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
tomtomtom1 said:
Given this example would it be correct to say that i will need to burn 630 joules of petrol in order to move this box?
Yes, in principle.
Quantities of petrol are not measured in joules, but the conversison can be made.

The efficiency of such a conversion from chemical energy to pushing force is only of the order of a few dozen percent, though. So in practicce a multiple of fuel equivalent to 630 J is needed.

tomtomtom1 said:
work always relates to a mass being displaced by some distance?
No. It might not require any work, or a force, merely to displace the mass by a distance.
It would require work to accelerate the mass, but you could just accelerate it a tiny amount then wait for however long it takes to travel the distance. You might even be able to recover the work invested when bringing the mass to a halt at its destination.

Likes tomtomtom1
tomtomtom1 said:
work always relates to a mass being displaced by some distance?
work is also involved in moving a charge in a potential field, compressing or expanding a volume of a gas, emitting light, heating, etc. etc.

Likes tomtomtom1

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is an essential concept in physics and is measured in joules (J).

2. How is energy classified?

Energy can be classified into two main types: kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, and potential energy, which is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

3. What are the different forms of energy?

There are many forms of energy, including mechanical, thermal, electrical, chemical, nuclear, and electromagnetic energy. Each form has its own unique characteristics and can be converted into other forms.

4. How is energy conserved?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. How can we use energy efficiently?

To use energy efficiently, we can reduce energy waste by using energy-saving appliances and technologies, conserving energy when it is not needed, and switching to renewable sources of energy such as solar and wind power.