Understanding the Controversy: Is 0^0 Really Equal to 0?

• Thread starter mathelord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of 0^0 and its value. One person argues that 0^0 should be 0 because anything raised to 0 is 0, while another argues that it should be 1 because it is raised to 0 parts. However, it is ultimately determined to be undefined.
mathelord
a friend [no longer a user of the forum]showed me this and i felt i should as well show this to you all
let x^x=x
x^[1/x]=x
x^[1/x]-x=0
x[x^(1/x-1)-1]=x
so x is 0 and 1.
which evntually gives 0^0 as 0
in sloving with anither method,he also got -1 as x.
how true is the topic 0^0=0.
he explained that if you have nothing and you raise it to nothing you eventually get nothing.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mathelord said:
x^[1/x]-x=0
x[x^(1/x-1)-1]=x
How did you get from the first step to the second ?

If you have x = 0, you get 1/0 which is invalid.
I also fail to see how you got from the first to the second equation.

I don't actually see how the first equation is valid , never mind the second one.

Could somebody please explain ?

It's valid because he wants to solve x^x = x, for x.

mathelord said:
a friend [no longer a user of the forum]showed me this and i felt i should as well show this to you all
let x^x=x
x^[1/x]=x
x^[1/x]-x=0
x[x^(1/x-1)-1]=x
so x is 0 and 1.
which evntually gives 0^0 as 0
in sloving with anither method,he also got -1 as x.
how true is the topic 0^0=0.
he explained that if you have nothing and you raise it to nothing you eventually get nothing.

mathelord, this is all pretty trivial. What is it that's confusing you? If you "have nothing and you raise it to nothing", then you don't have anything to exponentiate! You don't "eventually" get nothing, it was always nothing.

Last edited:
benjamincarson said:
mathelord, this is all pretty trivial...
Factoring x from 0 and getting x is some pretty nontrivial algebra. :smile:

hypermorphism said:
Factoring x from 0 and getting x is some pretty nontrivial algebra. :smile:
I don't see how he was "factoring x from 0 ". Anyway, It wouldn't be hard to construct a proof that shows that the equation [tex]x^{x}=x[/tex] is only valid for 0 and 1. So...
[tex]0^{0}=0[/tex]
[tex]1^{1}=1[/tex]

Fiddle-dee-do

Well:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} x^x = 1[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} 0^x = 0[/tex]

Some times 00 = 1 is defined as for usefulness, but in general its not determined.

benjamincarson said:
I don't see how he was "factoring x from 0 "...
Look at his fourth step.
benjamincarson said:
It wouldn't be hard to construct a proof that shows that the equation LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment. is only valid for 0 and 1...
It would be impossible. 00 is an indeterminate form. See here and here.

x^0=1 any number raised to zeor power equals 1. x*x*x*x...*x zeor amount of times equals 1 because 1 is the null value in multiplication. a number times himself zero times is equal to 1.
0^x=0 zero raised to any power equals zero. 0*0*0*0*0*...0=0 because of multiplication property. no matter how many zeors you have...you still have zero.

0^0=? Well...is it 1 becasue it is raised to zeor parts? or is it 0 becasue the 0 is raised to a power? Can't be both, but it can be none. answer: undefined.

Related to Understanding the Controversy: Is 0^0 Really Equal to 0?

1. Is 0^0 really equal to 0?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on the context in which it is being used. In some mathematical operations, 0^0 is defined as 1. In other cases, it is considered undefined or indeterminate. Therefore, it is important to specify the context when discussing 0^0.

2. What is the reasoning behind 0^0 being equal to 1?

In some mathematical operations, such as limits and exponential functions, the definition of 0^0 as 1 makes the most sense and provides the most consistent results. For example, in the limit of x^x as x approaches 0, the value is equal to 1. Therefore, it is convenient and useful to define 0^0 as 1 in these cases.

3. Can 0^0 ever be equal to 0?

No, 0^0 can never be equal to 0. As mentioned earlier, in certain mathematical operations, it is defined as 1. In other cases, it is considered undefined or indeterminate. However, it is never equal to 0.

4. Is 0^0 a real number?

No, 0^0 is not a real number. Real numbers are defined as numbers that can be represented on a number line, and 0^0 cannot be represented on a number line. It falls under the category of complex numbers, which includes numbers with both real and imaginary parts.

5. Why is there so much debate surrounding 0^0?

The debate surrounding 0^0 stems from the fact that there is no universally agreed upon definition for it. Different fields of mathematics and contexts use different definitions, leading to confusion and debate. Additionally, the concept of raising 0 to a power can be counterintuitive and difficult to grasp, making it a topic of interest and discussion among mathematicians and scientists.