Understanding the Maxwell Stress Tensor

In summary: T_{ik}## not ##T##.The second term drops out because the magnetic field is zero.The stress tensor on the triangle projected on the xy plane would be ##T_{ik}## not ##T##.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Maxwell Stress Tensor
Relevant Equations
##\vec F = \oint_{s} \vec T \cdot d \vec a - \epsilon \mu \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \oint_{V} \vec S d\tau ##
The elecromagnetic force can be expressed using the Maxwell Stress Tensor as:

$$\vec F = \oint_{s} \vec T \cdot d \vec a - \epsilon \mu \frac{\partial }{\partial t} \oint_{V} \vec S d\tau $$

(How can I make the double arrow for the stress tensor ##T##?)

In the static case, the second term drops out because the magnetic field is zero.

I have read (from Griffiths) that ##T## represents the force per unit area acting on the surface. But then he states:

Screenshot (394).png

Let's see if understand what's going on:

Screenshot (396).png

I'd say that the stress tensor on the triangle projected on xy plane would be : ##T_{ik}##. Is this correct?

Besides, I am seeking for understanding it. After solving an example exercise

Screenshot (397).png

(The exercise is not solved above of course)

But I want to focus on what he states at the end:

Screenshot (401).png

How can the tensor 'sniff out what is going inside'?

I don't understand why.

Attachments

• Screenshot (400).png
    Screenshot (400).png
    47.4 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the same thing as the
fundamental theorem of calculus ##\int^b_a dx\, \frac{df}{dx} = f\left(b\right)-f\left(a\right)##
Stokes theorem: ##\int_S d^2 r\, \mathbf{\hat{n}}.\boldsymbol{\nabla}\times\mathbf{F}=\oint_{\partial S} dl \mathbf{\hat{l}}.\mathbf{F}##
Gauss Theorem: ##\int_V d^3 r\, \boldsymbol{\nabla}.\mathbf{F}=\oint_{\partial V} d^2 r\, \mathbf{\hat{n}}.\mathbf{F}##

etc. Generally this is known as Generalized Stokes Theorem. The point is that integrating a form (##f## or ##\mathbf{F}##) on the boundary of a manifold (##\partial S## or ##\partial V##) is equal to the integral of the exterior derivative (##\frac{df\left(x\right)}{dx},\, \boldsymbol{\nabla}\times\mathbf{F},\, \boldsymbol{\nabla}.\mathbf{F}##) over that manifold.

In your case ##\mathbf{f}=\boldsymbol{\nabla}.\mathbf{T}+\dots## so

##\mathbf{F}=\int_V d^3 r\, \mathbf{f} = \int_V d^3 r\, \boldsymbol{\nabla}.\mathbf{T}+\dots = \oint_{\partial V} d^2r\, \mathbf{\hat{n}}.\mathbf{T}+\dots##

Likes JD_PM
Thanks for your reply.

I understand that ##\epsilon \mu \oint_{V} \vec S d\tau## represents the momentum stored in the fields and
##\oint_{s} \vec T \cdot d \vec a## is the momentum per unit time flowing in through the surface.

I think you are correct, but check your units (just in case)

1. What is the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is a mathematical representation of the stress and pressure exerted by an electromagnetic field on a material medium. It describes the forces and torques that an electromagnetic field exerts on a small volume of material, and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their interaction with matter.

2. How is the Maxwell Stress Tensor calculated?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is calculated using the equations of electromagnetism, specifically the Maxwell's equations. It involves taking the cross product of the electric and magnetic fields at a given point, and then integrating over the entire volume of the material. The resulting tensor contains six components that represent the stress and pressure in different directions.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

The Maxwell Stress Tensor is significant because it allows us to quantitatively analyze the effects of electromagnetic fields on materials. It helps us understand the behavior of electromagnetic waves, such as reflection, refraction, and absorption, as well as the forces exerted on materials in the presence of these waves. This knowledge is essential in many fields, including electronics, optics, and materials science.

4. Can the Maxwell Stress Tensor be used to predict the behavior of materials under different electromagnetic conditions?

Yes, the Maxwell Stress Tensor can be used to predict the behavior of materials under different electromagnetic conditions. By calculating the stress and pressure exerted by an electromagnetic field on a material, we can determine how the material will respond and deform. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing materials for specific applications.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Maxwell Stress Tensor?

While the Maxwell Stress Tensor is a powerful tool for understanding the interaction between electromagnetic fields and materials, there are some limitations to its use. It assumes that the material is linear and isotropic, meaning that its properties do not change with direction or magnitude of the applied fields. In reality, many materials exhibit non-linear and anisotropic behavior, which can complicate the analysis. Additionally, the calculations can become complex and time-consuming for more complex materials and fields.