Understanding the Meaning of 'a' in Exponential Decay Model

In summary, a represents the initial value of the function y=ab^x in the standard model for exponential decay. As x increases, the value of y decreases because the decay factor b gets smaller.
shad0w0f3vil

Homework Statement

In the standard model for exponential decay, y=ab^x , what does a represent and why?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that a is the value of y when x=0, but I don't understand why this is the case. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean b^(-x). And you've already answered the question yourself.

but i don't understand why though.

What is [tex]ab^{0}[/tex] equal to? (As long as [tex]b \neq 0[/tex])

is it just a?

shad0w0f3vil said:
is it just a?

Yup. You get that part right?

In this kind of question you want to say what each variable or constant stands for. And then describe how the value of the function changes as x changes.

yeh, what else am I missing?

x stands for time, so when x=0 we know that [tex]y=a[/tex] so that's why a is the initial value. As x increases what will happen to [tex]y=ab^{-x}[/tex]? will it get smaller or larger? why?

actually in our case b represents the decay factor, as a result the x is positive. However, as x increases b would get smaller (for the model i just said), meaning that when it is multiplied to a, the value of y would decrease as x increases.

Related to Understanding the Meaning of 'a' in Exponential Decay Model

1. What is exponential decay?

Exponential decay is a mathematical function that describes the decreasing pattern of a quantity over time, where the rate of decrease is proportional to the current value of the quantity.

2. What is the formula for easy exponential decay?

The formula for easy exponential decay is y = y0e-kt, where y is the current value, y0 is the initial value, k is the decay constant, and t is the time.

3. How is easy exponential decay different from regular exponential decay?

Easy exponential decay refers to situations where the initial value (y0) is equal to the final value (y), making the formula simpler. Regular exponential decay allows for any initial value and final value, and is represented by the formula y = A(1-r)t, where A is the initial value and r is the rate of decay.

4. What are some real-life examples of easy exponential decay?

Some real-life examples of easy exponential decay include radioactive decay, where the amount of a radioactive substance decreases over time, and population decline, where the size of a population decreases due to factors such as disease or predation.

5. How is easy exponential decay used in science?

Easy exponential decay is used in science to model and predict the behavior of various natural phenomena, such as population growth and decay, radioactive decay, and chemical reactions. It is also used in data analysis and curve fitting to describe the trend of a dataset over time.