Understanding the Momentum of Light in Space

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter azabak
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Light Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
azabak
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
A stationary object is floating on space and then it starts sending a continuous beam of photons. It seems correct to assert that the object accelerates since photons have momentum. In the initial condition the center of mass is at rest and thus it should remain at rest since photons have no mass. But it also accelerates because photons have momentum.
What happens in this situation?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
azabak,

the photons have energy so they have momentum. Everything works out. I can't resist attaching a file which gives a simple proof of E=mc2 without using calculus or even having to solve a quadratic equation. I attach it because it uses an argument so close to the one you state.

Hope this helps

Regards

Sam
 
Attachments
Lorentz transformation is what I think your looking for.